Someone give me a summary/experiences of the hoot gearboxes

I

iron_monkey

I am curious at the current situation (Nov, 2009) of the "hoot" gearboxes and what their problems are, and whether one can fix them. I'm not a total novice; I've got an automatic HT 2 stroke running perfectly, now considering building up a 4 stroke.

I know that the early ones(figure of 8 shape version using gears) was noisy and the breaking clutchbell, have the latest figure-of-8 versions still noisy? Clutchbell is apparently fixed on later versions.

Anyone experienced the chain drive version? My chief concern is its gearing, which is somewhat tall. Can you still take off on level ground without pedalling?

Basically the chaindrive I can get for $320AUD, and the latest version of the gear drive (figure of 8) I can get for $390.

The G4 belt drive seems to be expensive($600!!) and yet theres still problems with it; slow gearing and the torque mashes up the freewheel sprocket according to Irish John, so thats written off. For $600 I'd expect something rock solid, with the same (lack of)quality of the previous Hoots its a rip off.

edit: I cannot get the grubee gearbox, at least in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

As I don't like to "trash" other products, just consider this. Are Chinese chains a quality product?

If not, then consider the results of a poor quality chain turning [and stretching] at a high RPM inside a case.

Do chains make noise at high RPMs?

What happens when a chain jumps off the sprockets when stretched?

Do chains need to be lubricated often to survive?

Answers to these questions should give you a better idea of the latest efforts from China.

BTW I love the Chinese HS 49 CC 4-stroke motor, as it is the exception from the normal.

Have fun,

The Chinese 4 stroke motor is good as it is obviously outsourced from other factories specializing in making stationary engines. Its not really an exception as any other Chinese stationary engines/trimmers/motorbikes/scooters/lawnmowers/etc that use small engines perform adequately. They are sold in vast numbers in the west. Its just that the factories making the kits and 2 strokes are of a very different league, i.e. disastrous.

The chinese factories making related stuff like trailbikes/buggies/pocketbikes are of much higher quality. I really do look forward to these factories experimenting with making their version of 4 stroke bicycle engine kits, if they ever do. Likely the demand or potential revenue just isn't there so its left to the smaller dodgier factories that currently make our kits. It really is amazing how our factories can't even master producing a reduction drive, at least for 4 stroke. (the HT 2 stroke manual gearbox has relatively little problems except the loose bolt and chain jamming)

I'm using a chinese chain in my 2 stroke, and it works, that's all that matters. Whatever noises chinese chains make, it can't be as anywhere bad as this god awful shriek the early hoot gearboxes make.

As the sprockets are presumably aligned and there is ample clearance, loose chains doesn't pose a severe problem. In the 2 stroke HT, a loose chain poses a severe hazard in jamming due the clearance around the drive sprocket, which is inadequate to prevent jamming (or too much clearance depending on how you go about it - enough clearance as to allow significant jumping possible in the first place:unsure:).

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one the other day, ill see how it works. The kit was cheep and I got the clone engine to play with. I can make up a belt drive if the gearbox fails. I'm going to run ATF in the box to see how that works. Have fun, Dave

Back