Something Wrong with my Carb slide?Help!

Local time
5:42 PM
While installing my carbslide I realize its hard to go down, and when in it does not slide. WHat could be the cause of this? What can I do? I was thinking I might need a whole new carb?. Below is a picture of how the thing looks

Attachments

• MVC-002L19-395x289.jpg
    MVC-002L19-395x289.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 250
  • MVC-006L4-411x278.jpg
    MVC-006L4-411x278.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 255
I cant really see it, but I have to apply some real pressure to it to make it go down. At first I thought had to. THen i realized that that was the idle, and it had to move up and down freelly, upon taking it out I messed up the throttle cable, so now im not to sure, I noticed the little hole on the bottom of the barrel,, however when you release the spring it should make the needle straight, so it can line up. the carb slider did go down, so i belive that that is indication that the needle does line up, but my question is why isnt it moving freely up and down, when i first took it out it was free, I doubt i bent anything, I was pretty careful. so any advise.

As was first replied there is a tiny pin in the carb barrel that the groove on the carb slide must line up with. It is on the opposite side from the idle screw.

The idle screw is on the outside of the carb, usually on the left side. It is flat bladed, with a knurled edge so you can easily turn it with your fingers. It has a spring under it to keep it from vibrating. The tip of it protrudes into the carb and keeps the slide from going all th way to the bottom. Turning the screw changes how high the slide sits at idle, thereby changing how much air and fuel go into the engine. Basically, it is like holding the throttle a little bit open. To adjust it you screw it in for a higher (or "faster") idle, and out for a lower (or slower) idle. When you get your engine running slowly screw it out to lower the idle to where it just runs smoothly without dieing.

if you are putting it in correctly and it is still stiff, try the following:

1. Light lube the barrel and slide (WD40 is ok). Make sure no residual gunk from manufacturing is inside of the carb.

2. If WD40 doesn't fix it, your slide or carb barrel may be out of round. I have fixed this by using a very fine sand paper and sanding the slide until it fit perfectly.

Good luck.

one more thing. put a couple wraps of teflon tape around the throttle barrel before you screw on the cap. don't overtighten or it makes the barrel smaller causing the slide to stick. mine was sticking and I loosened the cap just a tiny bit and, whhhut, the slide dropped to the bottom. my .02

Back