Soon to be Stingray owner

Well... I might just get the kit anyway and install it. If a cop harasses me, I can lock the clutch lever and ride it as a bicycle to go back where I came from. Being from out of state, I *might* get a free pass. I could always remove the engine itself (leaving the fuel tank and all) if I'm in a state where it's not legal (ie: Texas, California), and just ride it as a bicycle there.

Putting a cheap analog speedometer and saying at 15mph (25kph) or less wold be a good idea too so they can't bust me for going over the 15, 20, or 25mph speed limit for gas bikes that they might have. They are about $15 on ebay for ones reading in kph with an odometer too.

this is why i go friction drive, most ppl dont know what they are looking at an if u see a cop u peddle while motoring

this is why i go friction drive, most ppl dont know what they are looking at an if u see a cop u peddle while motoring

Unless they're deaf, they will probably hear the 2 cycle engine before I see them. Even if I disengage the clutch and hit the kill switch (I've read that an on/off switch is safer for the CDI/magneto?) I'm probably already busted. Removing the fuel tank might actually be easier than the engine for biking in states where it's not legal. They can't really write you a ticket for pedaling a bike with an unusable engine attached. With no fuel tank, there's no way they can claim that I was motoring if I whip out my phone and record the interaction, showing the bike with no fuel tank on it.

Or I can buy a second bike with more gears for pedaling and use that when I don't want to, or can't legally, run the gas bike. But really? I don't know that it'll be that big of an issue. I've been RV full timing for 3+ years without a bike, so it's not exactly something I *need* but it would be nice sometimes. There has been many times I wished I had a bike of some kind, when I end up walking several miles around a town were biking would have been preferable.

EDIT: Ohh, I see what you mean by friction drive. Yeah those are interesting.. but it wouldn't work on a stingray due to the seat. I want a stingray, so mine will have to be obvious.

Been riding my Whizzer M/B 4 stroke 138cc in CA. for over 15 years and 37,700 miles. Never have had any problems with the Cops.
@Cubey If you live in CA. All's you need to do is buy a one time fee M/B sticker for about $20 and your good. I never got one
With a mail order M/B kit it's kinda a gray area of the law in CA. If you ride your M/B like a bicycle, You will get pulled over by the cops.
Pic of my Whizzer, I already showed you a pic of my Sting Ray :ROFLMAO:

BTW What state do you live in?

Attachments

• DSCF1586.JPG
    DSCF1586.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF1587.JPG
    DSCF1587.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 176
  • DSCF1595.JPG
    DSCF1595.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 161
Regarding ebike... the 26" wheels are about $100 cheaper than the 20" ones. It might be cost effective to buy that and pay a local bike shop to re-spoke the hub into a 20" rim if it's $50-60 to have that done.
Been riding my Whizzer M/B 4 stroke 138cc in CA. for over 15 years and 37,700 miles. Never have had any problems with the Cops.
@Cubey If you live in CA. All's you need to do is buy a one time fee M/B sticker for about $20 and your good. I never got one
With a mail order M/B kit it's kinda a gray area of the law in CA. If you ride your M/B like a bicycle, You will get pulled over by the cops.
Pic of my Whizzer, I already showed you a pic of my Sting Ray :ROFLMAO:

BTW What state do you live in?

Arkansas, currently. It's probably 100% legal here for the 48cc kit but cops are still buttholes sometimes and don't know the laws. Years ago they pulled me over here once on a 40cc goped for not hand signaling a right turn and they asked where the plate was. . I had on a motorcycle helmet and didn't hear them tooting at me at first over the 2 cycle engine. I had a "motorized bicycle certificate" (permit for riding) and I'm pretty sure the cop never saw one before, they way they stared at it for good 30 seconds. Funny because I was never stopped on the Honda Spree which had a place for a plate but didn't need/have one. But of course, it had all lights and signals, plus a horn.

I had a moped a short time too, and never had a problem riding it in Arkansas either. Sold it to a friend in need for $200, who let it ruin/get stolen. I paid $100 for it in "seized" condition, but it wasn't seized at all. It needed a rubber clutch which I replaced and had it running great. Too bad.

This speedometer is what I have my eye on. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...540159?hash=item3b2575afbf:g:KgMAAOSwyElcY2py

I wouldn't mind having a springer fork upgrade ($50) so I might do that eventually too.

It did cross my mind to make a "custom stingray" by taking a 26" wheel cruiser and putting a banana seat and ape bars on it, so a 4 cycle engine could fit, but that would look kind of funny proportionally, since they are supposed to have small wheels. If they didn't have the 20" ones for $125, I might have. Genuine 26" stingrays were built but it loses it's charm, in my opinion:

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Love the Schwinn. Great Spedo choice
The Cops probably won't bother ya on a M/B if ya got a headlight, a working tail (stop) light and obey the traffic rules.
Your safety is #1 to most Cops.

Unless they're deaf, they will probably hear the 2 cycle engine before I see them. Even if I disengage the clutch and hit the kill switch (I've read that an on/off switch is safer for the CDI/magneto?) I'm probably already busted. Removing the fuel tank might actually be easier than the engine for biking in states where it's not legal. They can't really write you a ticket for pedaling a bike with an unusable engine attached. With no fuel tank, there's no way they can claim that I was motoring if I whip out my phone and record the interaction, showing the bike with no fuel tank on it.

Or I can buy a second bike with more gears for pedaling and use that when I don't want to, or can't legally, run the gas bike. But really? I don't know that it'll be that big of an issue. I've been RV full timing for 3+ years without a bike, so it's not exactly something I *need* but it would be nice sometimes. There has been many times I wished I had a bike of some kind, when I end up walking several miles around a town were biking would have been preferable.

EDIT: Ohh, I see what you mean by friction drive. Yeah those are interesting.. but it wouldn't work on a stingray due to the seat. I want a stingray, so mine will have to be obvious.

One the FD kits are ez to miss, and i have a 4 CYCLE, next they have to see u motoring if uv killed the engine they have nothing. Next toss on some camo on the kit and its gone, A nice box cover with the words "love a LEO" on it.
Having a china girl kit begs questions from ALL.

Love the Schwinn. Great Spedo choice
The Cops probably won't bother ya on a M/B if ya got a headlight, a working tail (stop) light and obey the traffic rules.
Your safety is #1 to most Cops.

It looks like you can install front and rear caliper brakes to the bike, but rear isn't so doable due to the clutch lever occupying that spot with the 2 cycle kits. Adding a front one would be a good supplement to the rear coaster brake.

You can buy custom throttle+brake lever combos for fairly cheap too.
https://www.grubee.net/collections/skyhawk-2-cycle-all/products/copy-of-throttle-cable

I dunno how well a tiny battery powered brake light would show up in daytime, but they make cheap ones with turn signals and a horn too:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Bicycle-Bike-Turn-Signal-Directional-Brake-Light-Lamp-8-Sound-Horn-US-Stock/353069617932

But honestly? I'd probably do better buying a cheap 8AH or 12AH AGM 12V battery and rigging up this 10W headlight and an LED trailer light for a tail light. I would only be riding in the daytime anyway, so a weak 10w headlight would be enough to point to and say "see, I have a good headlight and tail light, even if I'd be missing turn signals and a brake light... unless I buy the cheap crap one, and use it's brake light switch for the trailer light, since it does have that function.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Chrome-Motorcycle-LED-Headlight-12V-For-Harley-Chopper-Bobber/183710119439

Or rig up something like this.

But hell, I'd basically be trying to build a moped in functionality, complicating everything. I tend to do that. Cheap AA battery powered LEDs would be more than enough to please the cops.

EDIT: Actually, here is the solution. A left side moped brake lever with a brake light switch. Use that for the clutch so the brake light comes on when the clutch is disengaged. $10 for it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Brake-Lever-Handle-Scooter-Moped-ATV-Drum-GY6-Mirror-Safety-Switch/274045019972

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I'm lucky my Whizzer has a stator and a small 12v 1.5ah battery with hand controls like a M/C.
So running 12v lights, horn and turn signals is no problem.

Since most M/Bs don't have a stator. I hear to use some lion rechargeable batteries is the best for running lights and stuff.
Put lights on your wheels too. It really helps you be seen at night and not get run over. Also I think it looks COOL.
Here's a Pic of my rainbow lights they change 6 different colors while your riding.
DSCF7049.JPG

Last edited:
I have some of those valve cap lights somewhere around here I got free a long time ago. But I won't be riding a night so it won't really matter.

There are dynamo hubs but they aren't cheap. I don't need it THAT badly.

I'd do better to run a $20 12V 8AH battery and manually recharge it after every few rides.

I don't care for these since the lights go out when you stop. Sure, that might be acceptable for casual daytime use, but the brightness during the day is laughable, at best. Plus I had one a long time ago and it barely worked as far as staying against the tire. Maybe I installed it wrong, come to thnk of it. But in this day and age with LED and so many better products, $20 for that isn't worth it.

1589935740161.png

Back