Soon to be Stingray owner

Or I can spend $500+ on an ebike kit since those seem to be far more lax in the law vs gas bikes. But by that point, I might as well have bought a nice old moped with lights and bigger tires/wheels for $600-700 and be able to get it registered in my home state. But, an ebike means no insurance cost so there's that.

I think the powers that be don't mess with electrics is because of the lack of noise.
I'm going to build an electric bike simply because i cannot hear when i get off of my gas bike and the frame is broke lol

I'm sort of digging the silence aspect of the electrics though but will never get rid of my beloved gas bike :)

Just bought this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-700c-Glenwood-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike-Black/702300391
to put a 1000w rear wheel hub motor and a 48v 20ah battery onto.

That is a 29'er and the wheel kit i bought is a 26'er LOL this ought to look pretty wild when done ✌

Ride Safe :cool:

HP

I think the powers that be don't mess with electrics is because of the lack of noise.
I'm going to build an electric bike simply because i cannot hear when i get off of my gas bike and the frame is broke lol

I'm sort of digging the silence aspect of the electrics though but will never get rid of my beloved gas bike :)

Just bought this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-700c-Glenwood-Men-s-Hybrid-Bike-Black/702300391
to put a 1000w rear wheel hub motor and a 48v 20ah battery onto.

That is a 29'er and the wheel kit i bought is a 26'er LOL this ought to look pretty wild when done ✌

HP

If you have a bike shop around, they can respoke your 29" rim with the ebike hub for around $60, I think. Save yourself money though by taking the hub out of the 26" rim yourself so they don't charge you for the time it takes to do that.

Doing the math, it's almost cheaper to buy a pre-made ebike these days. You can get low end ones for $600-700.

The bike you linked shows $200, plus about $150-200 for an ebike kit, plus $200 for a battery.

I still wouldn't mind having the Stingray as an ebike... but not for an extra $500... because 20" kits are about $300 right now plus the battery. :rolleyes:

I might just buy the 2 cycle kit for the Stingray and try it out before I buy anything else. I could always dump the kit for $50 on FB/CL later if I don't like it, since I'm sure someone else would want it for a deal. Having ridden 2 and 4 cycle scooters/mopeds, the noise doesn't bother me.

If you have a bike shop around, they can respoke your 29" rim with the ebike hub for around $60, I think. Save yourself money though by taking the hub out of the 26" rim yourself so they don't charge you for the time it takes to do that.

Doing the math, it's almost cheaper to buy a pre-made ebike these days. You can get low end ones for $600-700.

The bike you linked shows $200, plus about $150-200 for an ebike kit, plus $200 for a battery.

I still wouldn't mind having the Stingray as an ebike... but not for an extra $500... because 20" kits are about $300 right now plus the battery. :rolleyes:

I might just buy the 2 cycle kit for the Stingray and try it out before I buy anything else. I could always dump the kit for $50 on FB/CL later if I don't like it, since I'm sure someone else would want it for a deal. Having ridden 2 and 4 cycle scooters/mopeds, the noise doesn't bother me.

Bike was 208 electric wheel kit was 235 and the battery was like 425.

From what i was told, this is the same 1500w wheel just with a lower type of controler, but i'm not sure, my first time doing an ebike. :)

HP

ebay has those china peddle taxi 1500w hub , just the hub i thik for 185 or so.
Must have alot of torque and if one has the other stuff that would be cool i'd think

Already spoke to the shop owner, he is interested in these hub drives.
He already sells specialized mid drives and wanted to know about this as offroad, i said i had no clue but we'll find out lol.
He said he'd lace up the 29'er rim to the electric hub, but he reccomended a better quality rim.

He's a pretty good guy. Him and I talk Bitcoins alot and he and his shop were the first that i got to accept Bitcoins as payment.
A good young businessman there (y)

I planned to carry my bikes on one of these.... but no... the ladder on my motorhome is too far out to the edge of the side. (Pic below) Bikes would be sticking way out to the side. I guess I will be returning the Camco bike rack to Walmart in a few days.

A rear hitch bike carrier is a bad idea on my motorhome too. The rear end isn't very high up off the ground and when carrying a hitch mount box, the big bolt on my hitch mounted cargo box's hinged frame has dragged a LOT... bending the box's frame. Now just picture bike wheels dragging instead of the bolt. :oops: Also, having the hitch box is mandatory, as far as I'm concerned. I need the extra outdoor cargo space.

It's a long way from the rear axle to the rear bumper, so even the RV tends to drag sometimes... and has V shaped skids underneath to protect the waste water drains.

I do have an alternative idea though: I could mount one of these to the front (solid steel) bumper with grade 8 bolts and use a hitch mounted bike carrier up front.

There is no front license plate in my state, so mounting it where the front plate goes would be fine. It's a perfectly flat surface right in the center of the bumper, so the receiver would be nice and flat against the bumper and the bike(s) wouldn't stick out to the sides. I never drive at night, so blocked headlights probably wouldn't really be an issue. I could always stash the bikes inside temporarily, if needed. Front hitches for these van chassis don't exist (or aren't being made anymore) so this is the next best thing, on a small budget. Grade 8 bolts would be required with blue loctite and lock washers AND lock nuts to keep them from working loose from the vibrations. ~100-120lbs for up to 2 bikes w/ 1 or 2 engines shouldn't be too much for that.

If you look at the pic above of the side view, the front bumper is MUCH higher up than the rear hitch (under the rear bumper), so I doubt bikes could/would drag on steep hills up front.

This type of carrier is what I'd go with, where the bikes are supported from below, rather than hanging them from the top cross bar of the bike frame:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goplus-F...-Platform-Hitch-Rack-Mount-Receiver/417582750

Last edited:
OH Yea, lots of fun exploring on my bike while RVing. Pic is from 2006 when everything was brand new.
Still got the RV and still got my M/B they both still look brand new. But no RVing this year cause the Virus.
100_0497.JPG

Last edited:
Back