South Aussie MBc run Adelaide to Lobethal via Gorge road

arielatom300heps

Local time
6:38 PM
I posted this in "Expression of interest second South Aussie MBc run" thread a week ago about a ride through the Adelaide hills.

I like the idea of going along Gorge road maybe to Lobethal and then back again the same way or via Basket Range and Ashton. This trip it about 80 to 90 km depending on the way you come back to Adelaide.

I have done this on a normal push bike before and you go along Gorge rd and then when you get to Cudlee creek you turn off onto Cudlee creek Lobethal Rd to get to Lobethal. You can come back via Adelaide Lobethal rd then onto Lobethal rd through Basket Range then onto Ashton. You can then go three different ways from Ashton; Marble hill and cherry via Marble hill rd and then on to Athelstone and Rostrevor or keep on going to Norton Summit just down the road from Ashton. Then you can go down Norton Summit Rd or old Norton Summit Rd which both come out at Magill.

Gorge rd is not that steep compared to other Adelaide hills roads like Montacute rd, Norton Summit Rd and old Norton Summit Rd. I have also taken my 70cc Zbox along Gorge road as far as Kangaroo Creek Which I is the steepest part of the ride to Lobethal it you went that way. The bike did not struggle that much up the hill because I got it up to top speed just before the bottom of hill. I did have too assist the engine a bit on the pedals but it was not enough for me to break a sweat.

If we did ride to Lobethal I think we should go back to Adelaide via Cudlee creek Lobethal Rd and Gorge road as the other ways I mentioned are very steep and would need a lot of pedal assistance. But if we did go back the steep way we could always stop every 20km to rest body (if you are not fit) and engines.

It would be great if we could organise a ride like this and get like 20+ people to come along with motorized bikes. I ride a lot in the Adelaide hill with mtb cross country push bike and enjoy it more than the flats of Adelaide.

If this ride was a go ahead I think a good meeting place would be Paradise interchange because it's near the Linear Park bike track so people from the other side of town can ride up along it to Paradise interchange.

Please put my idea forward
Thanks
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I now want this to happen so the ride will be on this Saturday the 12th of July 2008. Sorry for such short notice but it looks like the weather should be good on Saturday. The weather looks like 17C˚ mostly cloudy.

I am not sure where the meeting place for this ride should be but I was thinking somewhere in city or another good meeting place would be Paradise interchange because it's near the Linear Park bike track so people from the other side of town can ride up along it to Paradise interchange.

I am open to any suggestions as for other meeting place and what time we should meet at.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for ur reply Simon A. I hope u can fix ur bike it will be great if u can come along.

I want to try and get as many people as possible to come on this ride.

My electric trike does not (yet) have the range to pull this off at a civilized speed (40+). Please keep me in the loop for future rides as eventually I will have the range to make it worthwhile.

Hills ride

Hi arielatom300heps,

I just got your message and am interested in a ride but not at this stage as I have taken my zbox Happy Time out of my bike.

I am about to install a 4 stroke and have just today received the kit to do it.

I guess it will take me a while to install as the frame will need some mods so I'd be looking around early September before its finished.

By then every day should be sunny:D

Please keep me posted so I can ride with you guys.

Seeya,

gygt.

sorry

hay guys sorry to say but i wont be ridding a moto any more with my wrist the way that it is i cant do it so im saelling my bike but if im free i might still catch up with ya all at the beach or some way in adelaide

ride this weekend

might join yous but only 2 top of chain ponds as thats where DOWNHILL racing is being held this weekend if thats ok:)

Back