South Carolina Motorized Bicycle Laws

South Carolina Motorized Bicycle Laws

Yeah, that's how the SCDMV rules read
They say no title required and to show the bike at DMV for inspection
I guess it's not a big deal in the eyes of the law since it's only a one time fee of $10 for a Moped tag
I have no Idea why the SCDMV laughed at Mom when she was there. Maybe she needs to speak to a supervisor
I know the moped license was $25 and pass an eye test.

Usually the people behind the desk are just trained clerks. In FL you would treat it as a home made vehicle, they can use the serial as a vin, or I've seen them register as something weird like "1929 Model A" when it was actually a chopped 1988 Cutlass frame and 1959 Minor body. Might wnt to re-approach them and tell them you made a moped yourself, and need it registered.

Usually the people behind the desk are just trained clerks. In FL you would treat it as a home made vehicle, they can use the serial as a vin, or I've seen them register as something weird like "1929 Model A" when it was actually a chopped 1988 Cutlass frame and 1959 Minor body. Might wnt to re-approach them and tell them you made a moped yourself, and need it registered.
Unlike Florida the moped requirements aren't as strict in SC. They don't register mopeds. All she has to do is simply ask for a tag and they'll sell her one. Then put it on the bike obey all traffic laws, don't ride on sidewalks under engine power and stay under 30 mph. In SC if your driver's license only has a 6 month suspension on it you can use your suspended DL to operate a moped. If your suspended DL is more than 6 months then you need a moped license. All that's required is a fee and pass an eye test for a moped license.

Two reason I tell people in SC to put the operating equipment on it.

1) Most importantly it helps to protect you.

2) In case you do get stopped some cop can't tell you it isn't a moped because it doesn't have the operating equipment on it.

Just realized this is an old thread. As of 2017, those moped laws read exactly the same as FL. Sure, I ride my MB everywhere around work and race tracks, and never been bothered.........but .....if there was an accident or the like, there may be issues. If one is hurt, there's no coverage etc.

As I said in another thread, I've been riding off road vehicles, on the roads, and as long as I was respectful, never once got in trouble. If anything, chatted with officers. Tractors, double trailers, back hoe, motorized bike, go karts, even once stopped in a race car on a test run, I was passenger...driver turned out had suspended DL. They laughed, told us not to test on public roads, have a nice day.

Just realized this is an old thread. As of 2017, those moped laws read exactly the same as FL. Sure, I ride my MB everywhere around work and race tracks, and never been bothered.........but .....if there was an accident or the like, there may be issues. If one is hurt, there's no coverage etc.

As I said in another thread, I've been riding off road vehicles, on the roads, and as long as I was respectful, never once got in trouble. If anything, chatted with officers. Tractors, double trailers, back hoe, motorized bike, go karts, even once stopped in a race car on a test run, I was passenger...driver turned out had suspended DL. They laughed, told us not to test on public roads, have a nice day.
Florida legally requires a driver's license, registration and insurance for mopeds. There's procedure RS-68 that allows you to use a bicycle frame to make a self built moped which then has to pass a DMV inspection. So what's being defined as a moped in SC is basically the same in Florida but the operating laws are very different.

To your good fortune, you're in a very tolerant area of Florida. However much of Florida is very strict about enforcing their moped laws.

In my personal experience, it really depends on the situation. If you are putting down the side of the road on a MB, tractor, dirt bike, quad, golf cart, whatever, most likely will never be bothered.....but, you do a wheelie through an intersection on a 250, you'll probably be chased.

Heck, I've driven back hoes, bobcats, lift trucks and even a scissor lift to fuel up, never once been bothered.

In my personal experience, it really depends on the situation. If you are putting down the side of the road on a MB, tractor, dirt bike, quad, golf cart, whatever, most likely will never be bothered.....but, you do a wheelie through an intersection on a 250, you'll probably be chased.

Heck, I've driven back hoes, bobcats, lift trucks and even a scissor lift to fuel up, never once been bothered.
Farm and construction equipment are considered slow moving vehicles and only need a slow moving vehicle sign on the back of them. We have lots of horror stories and videos of Florida riders being harassed by the police. I personally advise all Florida riders to meet the requirements of procedure RS-68. You may ride for years and never be bothered but all it takes is a gung-ho rookie who's thinking "I sure hope he makes a run for it, when I pull him over".

We have lots of horror stories and videos of Florida riders being harassed by the police.
And the video below is a good reason why cops are "harassing" riders in Florida...I lost count of the moving violations and no helmuts and especially no lights at night???...Totally ridiculous, dangerous, riders putting themselves and everyone else at risk!!!...I, as a former cop would never call it police harassment myself, any cop busting these idiots deserves a Citation of Merit Award...These bikes do not belong on the interstate.

And the video below is a good reason why cops are "harassing" riders in Florida...I lost count of the moving violations and especially no lights at night???...Totally ridiculous, dangerous, riders putting themselves and everyone else at risk!!!...I, as a former cop would never call it police harassment myself, any cop busting these idiots deserves a Citation of Merit Award...These bikes do not belong on the interstate.

I'm a 100% with you about getting idiots off the road regardless of what vehicle they're operating.

A lot of the videos I'm referring to the riders weren't breaking any traffic laws. They simply didn't meet moped requirements and didn't have a tag. Riders were being stopped a lot in Florida before procedure RS-68 was established.

Back