South Carolina Motorized Bicycle Laws

South Carolina Motorized Bicycle Laws

Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
6:26 PM
Anton submitted a new resource:

Motorized Bicycle Laws in South Carolina - License Required & Registration Required as of 2-1-2017

According to South Carolina state law, a motorized bicycle is classified as a moped. The definition of a moped is:
  • A cycle with pedals to permit propulsion by human power or without pedals and with a motor of not more that 50ccs or 2bhp.
  • Cannot go over 30mph on level ground.
  • Operated by an automatic transmission without clutching or shifting after the drive system is engaged.
License

To operate a...

Read more about this resource...

I went to register my motorized bicycle in South Carolina at the DMV. I took a picture of my bike and showed them at the DMV. She laughed at me and said no I don't have to register it. I told her according to the law and told her the law. She said their system has no way to do it. She said it needs to be titled to get registration and it can't be titled without a VIN. So she told me I couldn't do it and she had no way to do it. So I guess until they change their system there isn't a way to do it.

I went to register my motorized bicycle in South Carolina at the DMV. I took a picture of my bike and showed them at the DMV. She laughed at me and said no I don't have to register it. I told her according to the law and told her the law. She said their system has no way to do it. She said it needs to be titled to get registration and it can't be titled without a VIN. So she told me I couldn't do it and she had no way to do it. So I guess until they change their system there isn't a way to do it.
That's how they get you. Make laws that don't work, so they can fine you for it. No way to do it, but they want you to think their is.

That's why I love the laws here. No registration, just a flashing light front and back, max 50cc ( ahahahha no one will know unless they take the engine apart and measure), max 2 hp, must be 14 years old or older to ride, single speed or automatic transmission only, max 30 mph. They really don't care about them here. I have shifter bikes and they never said a word, as long as I'm not riding like a tard farmer. They have more important things to do than pick on people with bikes.

I went to register my motorized bicycle in South Carolina at the DMV. I took a picture of my bike and showed them at the DMV. She laughed at me and said no I don't have to register it. I told her according to the law and told her the law. She said their system has no way to do it. She said it needs to be titled to get registration and it can't be titled without a VIN. So she told me I couldn't do it and she had no way to do it. So I guess until they change their system there isn't a way to do
SC considers a M/B a Moped
I suggest you have a head light and a tail/stop light
Just ride your M/B and have fun, If ya get pulled over by the Cops just be honest and tell em you tried to register your M/B at the SCDMV but they just laughed at you.

SCDMV also says you can register your M/B as a Moped but you'll need to fill out from #400
Give it a try maybe they will give you a Moped plate. Form 400 could be a catch 22 :LOL:
As long as you got a D/L or a Moped License you'll be fine

SC considers a M/B a Moped
I suggest you have a head light and a tail/stop light
Just ride your M/B and have fun, If ya get pulled over by the Cops just be honest and tell em you tried to register your M/B at the SCDMV but they just laughed at you.

SCDMV also says you can register your M/B as a Moped but you'll need to fill out from #400
Give it a try maybe they will give you a Moped plate. Form 400 could be a catch 22 :LOL:
As long as you got a D/L or a Moped License you'll be fine
I'm originally from SC; moped license and moped tag is required, 50cc or less and an automatic transmission. Also all operating equipment is required: front/rear signal lights, head light, brake light, tail light, speedometer, mirrors and loud horn. Lights must be daylight visible.

I'm originally from SC; moped license and moped tag is required, 50cc or less and an automatic transmission. Also all operating equipment is required: front/rear signal lights, head light, brake light, tail light, speedometer, mirrors and loud horn. Lights must be daylight visible.
OK so how does Mom get a Moped Tag for her M/B

OK so how does Mom get a Moped Tag for her M/B
Fortunately SC is fairly tolerant they'll probably just sell you a moped tag if you ask for one. All the tag has on it is the word MOPED. If you already have a driver's license you don't need a moped license. Worse case scenario take the bike to the DMV and show them it meets moped requirements. In SC mopeds don't require registration or insurance.

Fortunately SC is fairly tolerant they'll probably just sell you a moped tag if you ask for one. All the tag has on it is the word MOPED. If you already have a driver's license you don't need a moped license. Worse case scenario take the bike to the DMV and show them it meets moped requirements. In SC mopeds don't require registration or insurance.
Yeah, that's how the SCDMV rules read
They say no title required and to show the bike at DMV for inspection
I guess it's not a big deal in the eyes of the law since it's only a one time fee of $10 for a Moped tag
I have no Idea why the SCDMV laughed at Mom when she was there. Maybe she needs to speak to a supervisor

Yeah, that's how the SCDMV rules read
They say no title required and to show the bike at DMV for inspection
I guess it's not a big deal in the eyes of the law since it's only a one time fee of $10 for a Moped tag
I have no Idea why the SCDMV laughed at Mom when she was there. Maybe she needs to speak to a supervisor
Generally they don't even want to see the bike. Because that means they'd have to get up out of their chair and go look at it. Heaven forbid, you asked them to do something that'd require a physical effort lol. They'll just sell you a tag.

Back