Spacer For Chainrings

yuckfoo

Local time
3:44 PM
I'm building a motorized on a Mongoose Dolomite (7 speed) with a sickbikeparts shift kit. In gear 6 and 7 the right side shift kit chain is very close to the bicycle chain. I saw a video where you could see the guy had a spacer between the bike's chainring and the shift kit chainring. Is such a thing sold for bicycles? If so, where can I get something like this? Or do you think this was a custom part?

This video link is timestamped to the bit where you can see the spacer.

Last edited:
I wonder if he used this.
Its a shame that when making his "informative" video that he couldn't be informative enough to mention exactly where he got his parts and the makers name of the parts...That would have been truly informational...lol...DAMIEN

Its a shame that when making his "informative" video that he couldn't be informative enough to mention exactly where he got his parts and the makers name of the parts...That would have been truly informational...lol...DAMIEN
I asked him so many questions, he's probably sick of me by now. 🤣 He answered a lot of my earlier questions. I think he probably just doesn't log on much to his YouTube account. I'd love to know about this spacer and he also has a very clean looking extended intake manifold. I know he made his own chain guards, I'm guessing he made that extended intake as well. The angled things you can buy for $6.00 (complete with s**tty welds) just don't look very good.

With my Sick Bike jackshaft kit , there are spacers , which are really the next size bigger nuts , there is a big gap between the sprockets ( or chain rings as you call them ) , did you install those nuts ?

With my Sick Bike jackshaft kit , there are spacers , which are really the next size bigger nuts , there is a big gap between the sprockets ( or chain rings as you call them ) , did you install those nuts ?
Yes, I used those spacer nuts. There is about 15mm between the center of both chainrings. I would think that I would need double the room I have (double the spacer nuts) to have proper safe clearance. In 7th gear the chains touch.

Are you using 415H chain for the right side of the shift kit? I know the guy in the video I linked is using 415.

In the sickbikeparts PDF they say to add washers to the nuts if you need more room. I suppose I can try that. I can offset the 10 tooth gear slightly to the right as well, as they suggest. But even offset slightly the 415 chain starts to rub against the chain guard.

Last edited:
You can use washers to space your chain rings out further. The biggest problems with a jackshaft and a rear derailleur set up is the constantly changing chain angles. This leads to the chain popping off in certain gears the easiest solution is going from a rear derailleur to and internally geared hub.

Yes, I used those spacer nuts. There is about 15mm between the center of both chainrings. I would think that I would need double the room I have (double the spacer nuts) to have proper safe clearance. In 7th gear the chains touch.

Are you using 415H chain for the right side of the shift kit? I know the guy in the video I linked is using 415.

You can use washers to space your chain rings out further. The biggest problems with a jackshaft and a rear derailleur set up is the constantly changing chain angles. This leads to the chain popping off in certain gears the easiest solution is going from a rear derailleur to and internally geared hub.
Never knew there was such a thing. But a brief google search has revealed that they cost more than my entire bike did. 😁 That's the sort of thing I'd do if I was making money off of my YouTube videos. I wonder if you can get one for a fat tire bike ...

I may not actually have quiet the problem I thought I did last night. After looking at this in the day light, the chains are still close, but I don't think the bike chain is going to bounce from side to side as much as I had imagined it would. For now I'm going to continue with the build as is and if need be I won't use the 7th gear. If it turns out to be a problem I'll have next winter to sort it out.

Back