Spark plug color

selftaught

Local time
3:55 AM
Is this the color it should be or?
20230521_183406.jpg

GW, it's not your eyesight. Not one pic on that chart matches the same color and condition of the example pic. All white/tan looking new plug. I'll agree running a little lean as D states.

The top one best matches the example plug. It was hard to find one that matched. Looked at over 20 different charts.
I went ahead and enlarged that chart with a screenshot..It also shows more clearly that it is a combination between the top "Lean" pic as well as the "Hot" pic on the right...Thanks for that chart Darwin.

Screenshot_2023-05-22_07-28-14.png

I have just got my PK80 80cc bike going. Put the NGK plug recommended above in with the correct gap .25". Seem to be running lean per plug color. Moved the needle clip to the second from the bottom (more rich at idle). Still too lean at WOT. I restore vintage Honda motorcycles and know how to tune 4 cycle. 2 cycle is new to me. My gut says bigger main jet. Not sure if thats a thing with these little engines. Got the kit from California Motorbikes. On a side note, he has been very responsive to my pre and post questions via text. So far loving this thing just don't want to burn down a piston. Any help would be appreciated.
20230728_114325.jpg

just don't want to burn down a piston. Any help would be appreciated.
How are you mixing your gas and oil ratios for that motor...Hopefully only in a one gallon gas can using one gallon of ethanol-free gasoline, (preferred), and 20:1 ratio, 6.4 ounces of CONVENTIONAL, (NOT synthetic or semi-synthetic), 2 cycle oil such as Valvoline multi-purpose 2 cycle oil for the breakin period for most of the usual China Girl motors...Must be shaken vigorously before adding to gas tank every time you fill-er-up, and NEVER try mixing in the tank itself as it will not be mixed properly.

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-2-Cycle-Multi-Purpose-TCW-3-Motor/dp/B0052E1Y4U

This breakin is for the first 100 miles at a minimum...From there you go to a 32:1 mix ratio which will be 4 ounces to one gallon mix, at that time you can use synthetics if you wish.

Also, If your doing what most here have done when first running a 2stroke and checking the plug after only a 5 to 10 minute run...WRONG...That is not long enough to even begin to see anything on that plug as useful information...I am assuming also that your at a low elevation for needle valve adjustment purposes...If so second from the bottom groove or center groove for the C clip is usually adequate.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have just got my PK80 80cc bike going. Put the NGK plug recommended above in with the correct gap .25". Seem to be running lean per plug color. Moved the needle clip to the second from the bottom (more rich at idle). Still too lean at WOT. I restore vintage Honda motorcycles and know how to tune 4 cycle. 2 cycle is new to me. My gut says bigger main jet. Not sure if thats a thing with these little engines. Got the kit from California Motorbikes. On a side note, he has been very responsive to my pre and post questions via text. So far loving this thing just don't want to burn down a piston. Any help would be appreciated.View attachment 196013
The clip on the needle only helps from off idle to midrange, after that it's all jet. Most of the time these engine have too big of a jet and run better with a slightly smaller one, say a 68 compared to a 70.

What does the engine sound like when you try to go WOT?

I would just recommend that you ride it around for awhile at mid-throttle, don't stress it, or get it too hot. As the engine gets broke in it will run better.

Back