Spark plug gap

it's possible the pickup coil is putting out a weaker pulse than it should
Yes, it's likely a cheap coil. The magnet seems strong. It's hard to find a good coil online (especially on eBoy or Ama-zone). They all advertise heavy duty coils, but few really are. I've already replaced the ignition wire (7mm) and using an NGK boot.

Grubee has standard coils in stock, which may be a good choice for my stock CDI. They are out of stock on their Fat Boy coils. Here's what they say:

Use this TZ HP Fat Boy Coil with our TZ HO RED WIRE CDI or any good Aftermarket, ( Lightening , Jaguar, etc. ) external mount CDI system.
  • 4700 Turns of wire versus 3800 Turns for a standard magneto coil.

• 310 to 315 ohms resistance value.

Do not use this HO Fat Boy coil with a standard TZ or SD Black wire CDI box as it may over drive the CDI triggering process and actually give less available Kilo Volts to the spark plug... Use only with TZ HP Red wire CDI or with the aftermarket Lightening big box CDI or equivalent.​

This indicates that the coil and CDI need to be matched. Just slapping on a 'Heavy Duty' coil may not be the performance upgrade advertised :-/

Of course they are out of stock on their hottest ignition set :-(

Attachments

• Magnetohistory_2048x2048.jpg
    Magnetohistory_2048x2048.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 90
  • oldDADandGoodOldBoy_2048x2048.jpg
    oldDADandGoodOldBoy_2048x2048.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 98
Check Harbor freight they are pretty cheap for this style.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Oh, I thought these were just spark indicators. I'm assuming that you screw in the terminal until the spark jumps the gap, and the scale indicates the approximate voltage (KV). There is a new Harbor Freight in Yreka (a dangerous place to carry a credit card). I'll check it out.

Back