Spark plug gap

I dig the vintage S/P wires.
On E Bay they can be found in many different design colors

below 30 and my engines make zero power. all my engines like somewhere between .037 and .043
I'm in elko pretty cold right now been messing with the gap as well I'm at a .045 with high compression head and hp carb and knock off mkz pipe also running a 70 main jet

I'm in elko pretty cold right now been messing with the gap as well I'm at a .045 with high compression head and hp carb and knock off mkz pipe also running a 70 main jet
Probably .030 is the absolute max for your gap, unless you got some new high energy ignition that we don't know about.

.045" gap makes a longer fatter weaker spark and is outside of the S/P gap spec .025" - .040" for a typical 2 stroke M/B engine

.025" - .030" is a shorter intense spark and recommended

However for Cold weather starts 30*F and under a wider gap .035" helps ignition but .045" is too wide.
S/P Manufactures only recommend increasing the S/P gap up to .010" from their original specs for cold weather starts

Probably .030 is the absolute max for your gap, unless you got some new high energy ignition that we don't know about.
Your probably right, I'm new to this been checking all the info I could
With the current set up I seem to max out how much throttle with no change in pull or top end
I do have the "upgraded" cdi but since I've never had the standard not sure if it is giving a stronger spark. I feel like since the gap is so big the engine is getting backed up on exhaust so a smaller spark will let me ride the power band to full throttle

.045" gap makes a longer fatter weaker spark and is outside of the S/P gap spec .025" - .040" for a typical 2 stroke M/B engine

However for Cold weather starts 30*F and under a wider gap .035" helps ignition but .045" is too wide.
S/P Manufactures only recommend increasing the S/P gap up to .010" from their original specs for cold

S/P Manufactures only recommend increasing the S/P gap up to .010" from their original specs for cold weather starts
Even with it being so cold being at 9' for a bit I've had no starting problems I can yeet the rear wheel and get it going let it idle takes less than five minutes to get warm enough before I give it some throttle to smooth it out

So I've made the gap smaller 30 then to 35 lost power gave it 68 main lost more power,
Now I'm .40 gap 70 main back in business now started a thread about carburetor tilt after top end if the float is closing the gas to soon

Back