Engine Trouble spark plug help

SRPM

Local time
11:00 AM
Hi all I need help with reading my spark plug and recommendations on what to do. This is my spark plug after a ride around the neighborhood with 32:1 mix in 60°f cloudy weather with stock jet and c clip on needle second form the top.
Here a pic with the flash on and off.

Attachments

• 20150507_160937.jpg
    20150507_160937.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 20150507_161017.jpg
    20150507_161017.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
are you using synthetic oil? how long was the ride? full throttle or part throttle?

my guess right now is the plug heat range is too cold

I'm using walmart brand Supertech 2 stroke oil doesn't say anything about synthetic; was think about switching to some Lucas syn blend. About 30min to an hour max. It varied about 3/4 throttle to almost full I like to back off WOT just a tad bit seems to run better that way too.

Oh also I have the NGK B8HS because I plan on riding in 70-100°f this summer and because I saw a post from Febian that he uses that one to protect against a wide range of head temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
those pics look like 2 diff plugs - assuming the last pic is without flash & looking like real life, I'd say you were OK if the motor is still in the running in phase, as it will get leaner when the rings seat

if the motor has 300 miles on it, I'd say you're a bit rich

Yes last pic is flash off. Same plug. Break in was done 2 tanks ago and was done with about 2 and a half to 3/4ish tanks of 16:1 and has about 200-250+ mile not exactly sure my bike speedo stopped working little over 100 miles in. Do you think engine is running good?

Going of topic a bit. I found a leak around the crank case bolt; the one above the magneto right under the gasket for the jug on the front end of motor. Do you guys think I'm ok to run it like that that, if so how much power am I losing? Any ideas on cheap and easy fixes to this problem I'm on a super tight budget right now. Anything help. Thanks

Last edited:
that leak is fairly common on some motors - not serious and can often be fixed by just adding a very small washer to that bolt

You definitely want a B7HS or B6HS, the 8 is too cold for your engine. Fabian is a lunatic who does full throttle up steep grades at 20 kilometers per hour, so his engines get pretty hot. His knowledge is good, but it's all experience based and his experience is different than that of everyone else. Next time, get a second opinion.

Keep the 8 around, it might help once it does get to be 100 degrees, but it's just not time for that yet.

Ok well that kinda sounds like me, but I bought four of the 8s so I'll return the other three and get one 7 and one 6 should I just get two of each or which one would be the better of the two so I can get extras. Would the 7 be better for the hot weather and 6 for cooler weather,
Thanks

Back