Spark plug shopping tip and Question about Make/Model databases with CG engines

junglepig

Local time
4:29 AM
You know how a lot of parts stores want your car selected to bring up a list of parts?
You know how there's no selection for China Girl Motorized Bike?

Well, if you're looking at spark plugs, you can use a VW Bug as a substitute.
I just go with a '79 Beetle.
Note some of the plugs brought up will be resistor types, and some will be non-resistor, so be sure of what you want.
The popular NGK B6HS will come up, along with some others. Typically you can get a set of 4 for $10 or so, or a single for $2.50-$4.00.

Another search term that I find useful is '14mm x 1/2" Spark Plug'

To anyone's knowledge here, has there ever been a mass production moped/bicycle that used the CG engine and that is recognized in typical Make/Model lists of mopeds?
How about the original Russian 'D' engines?

Pretty new to the MB world, what's better a resistor or non resistor type? And why? Most everyone says the stock spark plugs r s**t so definitely gonna wanna replace, but which should I go for?

These CG engines are way too unreliable to be used in a real manufacturer vehicle that people would expect warranties and service on.

The closest would be boutique shops like Helio that charge ~$600+ prices for their most basic 2stroke beach cruiser with a chinahgirl slapped on, and even mention in the add that they are unreliable and 4stroke is better for most people.

These motors are mainly for hobbyist and tinkerers.

Pretty new to the MB world, what's better a resistor or non resistor type? And why? Most everyone says the stock spark plugs r sh*t so definitely gonna wanna replace, but which should I go for?
Good question. Given the amount of contradictory opinions I've seen, I'm going to go about developing my own (opinion.)
I've read numerous sources that say most simple CDIs like ours can be adversely affected by the spikes and noise if no resistance is added to the system. The stock setup is non-resistor throughout (at least my recent purchase is.)

I'm waiting for delivery of an NGK LB05EP cap which contains a 5K resistor. I plan to use this with a solid copper core wire and try both resistor and non-resistor plugs. (I also have an amateur radio license and I know exactly how noisy non-resistor spark plug ignitions are to hobbyists!)
It doesn't seem to me that an extra 5K ohms in the wiring will prevent a spark at all. It will definitely increase the duration of the arc once it starts, and so I expect a net gain in ignition performance. I won't be trying to do anything too scientific. I don't have the resources to do much testing, but as long as it works well for me with the extra resistance in the system, the obvious benefit is a CDI that lasts longer and performs at it's best longer. As well as not adding to EM noise pollution.

The stock plug isn't the only thing bad: the plug cap is also ridiculous, and has to be replaced. I have some great rubber caps now with crimp-on 90-degree connectors that will not fail, and I could use those with an NGK BR6HS resistor plug. Or I can wait for my new cap and use the B6HS equivalent non-resistor plug.

So, I did not answer your question. I have an opinion that may change with my future experience.
For those of you that say that resistors will cause problems, I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

JP

These CG engines are way too unreliable to be used in a real manufacturer vehicle that people would expect warranties and service on.

The closest would be boutique shops like Helio that charge ~$600+ prices for their most basic 2stroke beach cruiser with a chinahgirl slapped on, and even mention in the add that they are unreliable and 4stroke is better for most people.

These motors are mainly for hobbyist and tinkerers.

Hobbyist: ✅
Tinkerer: ✅

Y'all r the best lol. Like having 1000 guinea pigs. After u test all that definitely post some results, I love copying good ideas lol

Back