Spark plug wire questions

Kpi890

Local time
7:54 PM
I’ve read a lot of posts about going to an auto parts store and upgrading the spark plug wire and boot so I did so yesterday. I bought a 20” wire with 2 boots on each end and cut it in half. The wire is red silicone on the outside and has the fiberglass braid and then yellow silicone and then a tube of something that’s black and insude that tube what looks like a very fine braid of more fiberglass or something fibrous. I understand i want the least resistance wire I can get but I’m a little stumped on this. I hooked it up to my cdi and plugged a spark plug tester and it’s throwing a spark but when I put my voltage tester on there to check ohms it registers a number and then just goes to zero. I guess my questions are what type of wire did I buy and is it better than the stock? Can’t seem t get accurate readings of the new one or the stock one with my multimeter but the stock one is copper wire inside. Oh and forgot to mention the new red wire is marked “double silicone insulated for high heat” figured that’s what I would need? I haven’t been able to run the engine yet as it was 20 degrees yesterday and didn’t think it would give me an accurate comparison. How would I know if it is better than the stock wire and boot once I can run the engine? What should I look for? I looked into spark plug wire types but got turned upside down as there are many different types and couldn’t find a good article or video of what o think would be the one I bought. Hoping it’s better because I would now have a spare since I cut it in half with boots on each side and it was $7.99. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like carbon saturated fiber glass suppression wire to much electrical resistance no good for our needs, you need solid core copper ignition wire or spiral wound suppressor both have copper conductors.

Sounds like carbon saturated fiber glass suppression wire to much electrical resistance no good for our needs, you need solid core copper ignition wire or spiral wound suppressor both have copper conductors.
Shoot shoot! Lol okay well maybe I can salvage the boots from it or something and I’ll go back to autozone and see what they have. Any suggestions on what I should ask them for?

Shoot shoot! Lol okay well maybe I can salvage the boots from it or something and I’ll go back to autozone and see what they have. Any suggestions on what I should ask them for?
Solid core copper ignition wire, rare these days, more likely to find it at a flea market on a spool or a Speed Shop. Message me if you don't find any I have a spool, will send you a length for the price of a stamp, might try a Harley performance shop, not a dealer they have nothing.

Back