Sparking Issue

Chad Welfle

Local time
11:01 PM
Alright so I had the bike running well recently until yesterday when the dang thing wouldn't start. I checked the plug, could see that it had gas getting to it so ruled out no gas, and its a new plug so that should be fine. To check the spark, while the plug was out I disengaged the clutch and rolled the bike along the ground to see if I could see a spark. I did not see one so either, one I have a problem with either the mag or CDI, or two I wont see a spark when I do this anyways. Not sure what it is but I want to say I have turned the bike over by hand before and never had a problem seeing spark but maybe I am confused. Is there a way I can easily find the missing link or am I going to have to take a shot in the dark and guess and hope I am right? The wife might be a little upset if I start ordering a bunch more parts for it.
I will say that the last couple of times I rode the bike when I was at low speeds I would get a jerky hesitation before it would go without issue. It would also stall anytime I pulled in the clutch to stop. I want to say its the mag but that would be a total guess. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chad

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
hundreds of threads here on testing 'no spark' issues - if you can't see spark hold plug in hand and see if you can feel it - meter easily tests mag, but CDI needs special testing, so best to just try your spare to see if it helps

You should see it spark though shouldn't you when you turn the motor over. I swear when I tested when I first built it I tested it that way and saw it spark. I think I am just going to get a new electrical setup with ngk plug. I need to order #66 - #70 jets off amazon anyways.

yeah, I'm just a repair shop, so need to fix crap while customer stands there in a hurry - I fix most 'no starts' in 10 min or less

faster to grab the plug in hand than walk all the way to parts shelf

Alright so I had the bike running well recently until yesterday when the dang thing wouldn't start. I checked the plug, could see that it had gas getting to it so ruled out no gas, and its a new plug so that should be fine. To check the spark, while the plug was out I disengaged the clutch and rolled the bike along the ground to see if I could see a spark. I did not see one so either, one I have a problem with either the mag or CDI, or two I wont see a spark when I do this anyways. Not sure what it is but I want to say I have turned the bike over by hand before and never had a problem seeing spark but maybe I am confused. Is there a way I can easily find the missing link or am I going to have to take a shot in the dark and guess and hope I am right? The wife might be a little upset if I start ordering a bunch more parts for it.
I will say that the last couple of times I rode the bike when I was at low speeds I would get a jerky hesitation before it would go without issue. It would also stall anytime I pulled in the clutch to stop. I want to say its the mag but that would be a total guess. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chad
Had this happen multiple times, from my experience it is the magneto, that is the only part I think would do it. You can buy both the magneto and cdi together for about 15$ as you showed on the link for Amazon. I would buy it but replace only the mag first to see it the was the problem, then try with no coil and see what happens. Just try and find what's wrong so you know what to do next time instead of replacing everything and not knowing what actually caused it. Also make sure you keep it dry, one time in my early days I ran my bike through a rainstorm and I left it uncovered outside. I didn't know that the area for the mag was filled with water and it fried the mag.so watch out for water.

Back