SPB Shifr Kit trouble

Question, with the adapters are you using the loose ball bearing or the cartridge style? We may have a solution for you. We have some samples coming that we are going to try with the pull start set ups and think it might solve your fit issue. I still want pics though so we can do further trouble shooting.

Last edited:
Well I see a couple things you can try to solve your problem. First, if you remove your head and turn it 180 degrees then the plug will be pointing forward. This may allow you to raise your engine. Second we have a shorter plug that will also allow you to raise your engine. This may give you enough space to get the engine high enough to clear everything. When you raise the engine it will obviously require a longer front mount but that is the easy part.

Thanks for the sugestions. It would need to go up about 2 inches to clear the pedal arm, and there are just 3 inches between the motor and the bottom of the 2 top tubes. The head would clear by your sugestion, but the carb won't. I'd still be catching my pant leg on the brace.
There's also the problem of the bearings being too narrow.
Plus, Astheticly, the motor looks right on the bike were it is. everything else on the bike falls into place around it.

So how wide would the crank be for the pull start option? Will it be available with the 7R, 74mm bearing spacing?

The wider crank is only wider on the left side so it would solve the problem with the left brace but will not improve your situation on the right. The cartridge version can be spaced for the 73 mm BB. My only other suggestion is find a different frame.

How much wider on the left? Most of my clearance issue is on the left. the right could be solved with a smaller sprocket, some lift, or spacers on the freewheel.

Last edited:
SPB Shift kit trouble

Thanks for the sugestions. It would need to go up about 2 inches to clear the pedal arm, and there are just 3 inches between the motor and the bottom of the 2 top tubes. The head would clear by your sugestion, but the carb won't. I'd still be catching my pant leg on the brace.
There's also the problem of the bearings being too narrow.
Plus, Astheticly, the motor looks right on the bike were it is. everything else on the bike falls into place around it.

So how wide would the crank be for the pull start option? Will it be available with the 7R, 74mm bearing spacing?

I don't know if this will help you any but I saw a longer offset intake manifold somewhere, I think it may have been Spookytooths web site. Possibly the offset manifold and it being 7" long would move your carb to the side far enough to clear the frame. Perhaps another member will know where to find the manifold. Woody

Back