Specialized BIG HIT MTB build

This bike is one I was just using as a sort of daily ride.
Even though it had the energy sapping Full Suspension , it was fun to ride.

Then the motored bike bug bit and it was a challenge to fit a motor to the Big Hit frame.

ADA9E0BD-812E-4875-93C0-CD881075EBFF-415-000000F0388EB804.jpg

Assuming a rack mount would be my best option , I looked into it and the best solution I could find was to fit the motor BACKWARDS ... Changing the timing and fitting the rear sprocket in behind the rear gear cassette.

After a bit of work building a frame to bolt the motor to the rear section of the bike.

5036B048-F64D-4DD6-B88E-175CB73E5291-614-000000A66AFFD935.jpg

The motor had a few issues straight out with a bearing failing.
No real big issue , but having the motor apart sucked me right in to modding it for more power / torque.
Fitted a RSE Reed Valve
Fitted a CNS carby
Drilled the piston for the reed valve as well as grinding transfer ramps and trimming the skirt

I looked at correcting the transfer ports but they seemed to be a lot better than some of the pics I have seen.

The only thing I haven't done yet is adding the boost port and haven't looked at high Comp head.

The bike was fun , even with the standard exhaust.
But the weight hanging off the back of the bike was slowly starting to annoy me.
Then for no real reason , the bike started throwing the chain on heavy hits .... Landing a small jump or dropping of a road kerb was enough to throw the chain.
Possibly just the crappy chain, but there was a bit of flex from the rear frame of the bike.

So that brought me to start phase 2 .....
I love the bike too much to just start with something else so I looked at it and decided to remove the rear suspension and , in place of the rear strut , fit the motor.

CA78A16D-A3CD-4058-A558-ECBD767BDBE4-415-000000F8696A10BC.jpg

Seems like a good idea !!!!
Anyway , I am halfway thru this phase of the build , the bike is now front suspension only. And it rides sooooo much better.
I am sure I will miss the rear suspension , but I am not too bothered for now.
The frame I built uses the mounting points from the suspension strut and pivot point, so it can all be put back to original if needed.

Here it is , still needs fuel tank and carby
And also needs a Jaguar torque exhaust built
29378846-7364-4D61-8C34-F687E0DBDE44-415-000000F04CD3E027.jpg

That's it as it is now ,
66/80 cc motor
RSE Reed Valve
CNS Carby
Piston ported

Hope you like,
Matt.

Pretty cool. I like it.

Thanks.

The bike rides so much better with the weight balance
I hardly know the motor is there , where as before , I could feel the weight all the time.
The rear weight would some times feel like there was a child in a bike seat on the back throwing I tantrum lol

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, Toy, maybe there's hope for this GMC TOPKICK I've got????????????????

Attachments

• P3184236.jpg
    P3184236.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 780
Back