speed-o-meter

which speedometer would you rather use?

• Total voters
I have an electronic one , but it goes crazy from being too close to cdi and pulses from it

Use shielded sensor wire, for example, from headphones. Or wrap around standart wire with aluminium foil. In both ways connect foil/outer wire to engine carter/zero wire.

I'm going to get a replacement schwinn speedo, return the old broken one in the new box and shield the wire (or just keep it the heck away from the CDI). I'm really missing my speedo lately.

I just completed a "special" Whizzer and tried several electronic speedometers, sadly due to vibration above 7500 RPMs all failed to perform correctly. After several test runs the different speedometers fail to display any numbers for the first 150 feet [the length of the "dirt drag track"]. I think the vibration shakes the battery loose during the test runs. I agree with Mike Simpson concerning the speedometer offered by Whizzer dealers, and has proven very durable on most of my test bikes, many with over 6000 miles on the odometer.
Quenton

Last edited:
actually, my cdi is less than a foot away from my speedo. i dont think its that. but when i put the kill switch on my bars, it would spaz out, i got rid of the kill switch and now its fine.

jon

I use Whizzer speedos in cool chrome can, matching Tach also avilable. The Whizzer speedo is designed to work nicely up to around 50mph, and has odometer. Stewart Warner design, cost around 45.00 see one on my 08 Racer.

I use them on my best bikes, Mike

I like the idea of using the Whizzer piece. I am trying to build something that looks about WWI vintage and an electronic speedo (or even one swathed in plastic) will not do.

Could you give me an idea of how wide the face is and how deep the housing is? I am fabricating a tank...and since I don't need a huge tank, I was toying with the idea of mounting the speedometer in a recess in the forward part of the tank...separate from the gas, of course.

Thanks.

Whizzer Plastic Speedo is Junk - Try Chrome???

Hi,

I bought the Whizzer black plastic speedo for my 80cc Chinese. It was really cheap - $21 for all - but it's as junky as the cheap bike speedo. The funny thing is, when I ordered it, Whizzer CALLED me and said "are you sure you want the cheap one - it's really cheap - why don't you get the $40 chrome one?" and I asked if it had plastic gears. I was told that it didn't (it does - benefit of the doubt says maybe they thought I was talking about the wheel gear). It's pretty much useless. The odo is wildly exagerated and the speedo winds out around 30mph. It seems accurate below that, but above 30 it points straight down. And no, I'm not going 50mph...

Has anyone tried the (2x-expensive) chrome head? I'd like to think it's got better guts, but I'll wait to hear one of y'all's experience before I sink any more into the Whizzer pizzer.

I wouldn't mind knowing where to get the speedo ?
I know mike and quentin have spoken about them, but don't know here they buy them

Ok, Everything you wanted to know about the new edition Whizzer speedometer. There are 3 different versions, the early 40 MPH plastic unit with the larger dail and less than desirable mounting bracket [vibration is an issue] was used on the 99 models, and possibly on a few of the 2000 bikes. The 50 MPH chrome unit with the 2.5" face was used on the Pacemaker II series [2001 to 2004], and the same unit with a white face was introduced with the later NE5 models [late 2004 to present]. I have logged over 12 thousand [very rough] miles spead between 3 speedometers without any issues. I have checked them several times with a local radar unit supplied by the local police, and found them to be within 5% to 8% on the chrome versions. The unit on Whizzers web site isn't the current version, but only differs in the color of the face plate and slightly different mounting brackets. Whizzer also offers a matching tachometer, but I am not sure if it is adapatable to other bikes. Most Authorized Whizzer dealers should have the speedometers in stock, and normally retails for $33.80. The face is 2.5" the height is 2.250" [with bracket attached 2.5"], the bracket can be reversed to allow the speedometer to mount the unit in front of the handlebars or behind the bars.
Whizzer OuterBanks,
Quenton

Thanks- I am intrigued. That size is perfect. I'm thinking of recessing the speedo on the left side of the tank and having the filler on the right in the same position so they are essentially symetrical.

Back