speed-o-meter

which speedometer would you rather use?

• Total voters
Well, I talked to a technician from Wizzer today. By the way, thos guys know there stuff well and are really nice. Anyway, He explained that this kit really wouldn't work unless you had a front coaster brake...something about how the speedo uses a gear at the wheel instead of just the universal "2 prongs through the spokes" on these cheaper analog speedos. I suggested maybe using the housing from wizzer and the cable drive attachment from the cheap speedo, but he said it probably wouldn't work. Of course there is no way to know until someone gets the part in hand.

I'm kinda bummed, I would really like a nice analog gauge.. maybe one thhat even illuminates at night using the 6v output wire.:cool:

Wow, wonder how I put speedometers on all my Whizzers including several vintage bikes. Several had the Schwinn brake and several only had plain front hubs [no brake]. Email me directly and I will send pictures of the many different ways to put the new Whizzer speedometer on almost ANY bike. quincy163@yahoo.com
Quenton

Purchase the Whizzer speedometer and the cable from me or Mike Simpson [Authorized Whizzer Dealers]. Then go to ebay and purchase the gear drive, this drive will work on either side of the front wheel, and if you purchase the 26/27" version it will work correctly! The ebay number is 140157919131. I can tell you not to buy the cheap bicycle speedometer because the needle will shake [and usually fall off], but ONLY use the heavy duty chrome version offered by Whizzer if you want it to look cool, work correctly, and last for a long time. Once again email me and I will send pictures showing the Whizzer speedometer installed and working on several bikes.
Quenton

Hi Bill, I talked to Dave at Whizzer USA today about using the different gear drive. We also discussed all the Whizzers that I used this setup on and that it was the same ratio as the whizzer part number SW-409547 gear drive assembly. I am attaching 3 photos of my 1951 Schwinn S4 [WZ] showing the speedometer installed in detail. This Whizzer now has 216 miles on the speedometer and has one first place in 4 shows, and I am sure the cool looking Whizzer speedometer helped win over the judges. I was able to check the speedometer in 2 ways, a roadside radar unit they like to locate in our small village, and I have a good friend on the Sherriffs dept with a radar gun, appears the speedometer is off 1 MPH @43 MPH [actual speed is 42 MPH]. Hope this information is helpful.
Whizzer OuterBanks
Quenton

Attachments

• 51Blue16.jpg
    51Blue16.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 51Blue38.jpg
    51Blue38.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 51Blue44.jpg
    51Blue44.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 261