speed-o-meter

which speedometer would you rather use?

• Total voters
H

Herrmanator8

this is a speedometer im interested in buying:
1276_speedometer_1.jpg

ive seen this on alot of bikes and they look kinda cool, yet ive heard that when you get up near 30 mph, they start to spas out and ive also heard that the gears strip out because theyre plastic, anyway...can anyone give me some feedback on this model before i go spend 30 dollars on one.

thanks, jon

I had one but it went nuts above 22mph and azvinnie's twisted cable in two they are mostly useful for odometer (distance)
I have an electronic one , but it goes crazy from being too close to cdi and pulses from it

thanks, i guess ill not get the mechanical one, but whats the problem with the electronic speedometer and the CDI unit? i need to know. im leaving the pull up for 5 days to see whats preferred.

jon

it seems the cdi puts out an electrical pulse for the spark and it does funny things to the speedo
they seem to work if you can keep speedo wire from anywhere near the cdi

since the poll asked me what i'd rather use, i guess i'm the hold-out :p

but, i have to use a digital because i totally blew up the analog speedo...seems the only thing it was good for was telling me when i was going too fast :LOL: :LOL:

ps-eventually i'll be mounting my electronic speedo in the analog housing, maybe use another housing i have for switches and such...should make for a nice look, eh?

Analog Speedo

I use Whizzer speedos in cool chrome can, matching Tach also avilable. The Whizzer speedo is designed to work nicely up to around 50mph, and has odometer. Stewart Warner design, cost around 45.00 see one on my 08 Racer.

I use them on my best bikes, Mike

I like the electronic ones. all the odo functions, fastest speed, average speed and time are nice to have besides the current speed. it was a cheapo one from wally world. my cdi is mounted behind my gas tank so it is not affected.

hey motorbikemike, where did you get your speedometer, i would like to research them and possibly get one, i like the mechanical more but id rather have something that works...lol :D

jon

My speedo's

Hi the cool lil speedo's are DOT, EPA and CARB approved, because they are part of the Whizzer Motorbike, and being a Whizzer Dealer, I just buy them any time I need them. I bet you I can get you one too!

Mike

Back