Speedo question

Whitewill1412

Local time
1:00 PM
I have a new old stock speedometer for a 20 inch bike. Is there any way I can make it work on a 26 inch bike?

You Should be able to just change the speedo drive mechanism with a 26" wheel model.
I wonder if anyone here would know how to do the math to figure the difference. Like maybe it would just be like you add 5 mph or something like that. That would be something like algebra. I was never good at that.

I wonder if anyone here would know how to do the math to figure the difference. Like maybe it would just be like you add 5 mph or something like that. That would be something like algebra. I was never good at that.
Sidewinder speed formula:

(Engine RPM × Wheel Diameter × π)÷(Total Reduction × 1056)=MPH

If you can't calibrate the speedometer then you need a tachometer. These are very affordable on eBay. First you'd have to connect the speedometer with the cover glass removed to the back wheel and have the wheel off the ground. Paint over the old markings. Next, you'd have to figure out the minimum rpm measurements for at least every 5 mph using 26" wheels. When you hit These rpm measurements transfer marks to the painted-over speedometer display.

I could do the calculations for you if I knew what engine you plan to use and what rear sprocket you plan to use.

Back