Speedometer issues

artmaker

Local time
4:26 PM
Hi all, hope someone can help here.
So I bought a zeda bike frame. Look, it's one of those spokeless kind.

And before I bought this analog old school speedometer, I ASKED the folks, same place I bought the bike frame, if this will work on this type of bike. This round version speedometer is what I bought. All they said was "with some fabrication." Ok, so doable, probably gotta tweak something but I'm up for a challenge.
Well... I'm striking out here.

So that part that is made to fit on the front axle and the little tab fits between spokes. Well ok, the tab won't work with those steal bars even if it did reach them, but I have an idea that I could just drill a hole in the tab and wrap a bit of heavy wire, say hanger wire around one of the wheel supports and hook it onto the tab. SHOULD work right?
Problem is this piece in no way will fit on the axle.
A video I found showed typical instalation and said "be sure to put the washer between the part and axle nut." Swell, mine didn't come with ANY washers and not one in my box will fit. So off to the hardware store, I bought some washers the right size. That would have worked except the size of the part itself doesn't leave enough axle sticking out to get the axle nut on. Not to mention already just getting the front wheel on without any extra stuff is a royal pain. The fork is narrower than what has to fit. Adding another nearly half inch piece, I don't know how I'd get it on. And again there isn't enough axle to get the nut on. can't really adjust the other side to give me more axle because that would mess up the disk brake.
now... hard to see on their image since it's the wrong side, but.... look at the frame. See where the disk brake is mounted onto the fork? The same little hole is on the other side. So in theory I could bolt something to that. Of course it's not the center of the wheel, don't know how this would work if I bolt it there, just saying, there is a place to bolt something. I suppose as long as that tab is recording each wheel revolution, that might be an option????

So... I'm up for suggestions on this. I LOVE these old style speedometers. Much more than anything electronic. BUT... if this is simply not going to work on this bike, then the next question is what will? So far every one I find means attaching something to the front axle and I'm right back to square one. I need odometer AND a speedometer would be nice. (Speedometer is not required on that, these things usually go out on motorized bikes anyway, but the odometer is though.)

I used a speedo like that with my mag wheels. I had to bend that arm that goes in between the spokes up an over the top of the hub and then I used zipties to keep it in place. This worked for me however the plastic housing that the metal tab attaches to with the gear in it melted from the speed they run on a motorized bicycle.

The tab isn't the biggest issue here . It's getting that whole piece onto an axle that seems too short to add this part and still get the nut on.

Ya gotta make room. Got any pic? Might give us a better Idea if it will even work
Can you get a bearing nut that ain't as tall and a lock nut that is thinner So when ya put the spedo gear on it will fit.
I think ya can skip using the washers too.
I wish I had an easy solution But it's gonna be a custom fabricated fit.
Do you have the tools to grind (shave) the nuts thinner?
Just some suggestions Of what I've had to do before.
But since I don't have all the parts and pieces in front of me I'm just guessing for ya.

Yea, I'll get pictures tomorrow. Too dark in my garage even with lights. Been a bad day anyway. But I will.

Just a thought, I've never tried it.
Use loctite on the bearing nut and don't use the lock nut This will give you the space you need for the Spedo gear

Is it a quick release wheel? Those can be more of a pain because you need to match up a proper length hollow axle with just enough extra length to take the speedo, and skewer taking up the slack perfectly. I've swapped quick release axles with bolt on axles with no issues (didn't want my wheels to be easy to steal).
If you already have a bolt on wheel you can easily get a longer axle with the same diameter and pitch.

No on the quick release.... got a bunch of photos.
In order...
Looking at the axle from the side, there is another hole in the fork but now that I look, it's right over the wheel hub so rather useless. MAYBE something could be bolted to that, not sure what, or why that's even there. Next shot looking down (the wheel is not on tight so if it looks out of align that's why, it's just kinda setting in place for now.)
Then me holding this piece where it's suppose to go. To pull the fork wide enough to get it in there, tough enough as that is, doesn't leave enough room for the nut. And no I would NOT trust using locktite as a replacement for a wheel nut. Not even on a non motorized bike.

Last two pictures show why I need washers. That part is designed to sit right on the locking nuts on the axle. BUT this axle those nuts span further out than that metal center ring on the part which would just chew this plastic thing up. Bolting the wheel on would crush this plastic thing. So I found washers to stuff inside, and if I could get this on, one on the outside so the force of the locking nut being tightened as hard as I can won't crush the plastic.
BUT all a mute point. Axel is too short to do this.

Would this device still function if I were to simply attach it to the fork ABOVE the axle, then figuring out a way to extend that tab to reach one (gonna call them spokes, but they aren't really.) Anyway the attaching of the tab to one "spoke" isn't the biggest issue. Again I think a good stiff bit of wire would do the job. BUT will this still be at all accurate if it's not mounted directly on the center of the wheel? OR what about that extra hole in the fork? Maybe a long skinny bolt, threaded in from the inside out then put on the wheel, would give me a rod so to speak on which I could attach something else. NO clue how that would work.

Or.... is there a whole other device I could get that doesn't run off the attach something to a spoke idea?

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    IMG_1526.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1527.JPG
    IMG_1527.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1529.JPG
    IMG_1529.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 194
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back