Speedometer issues

Feathers, I like to stick em in my saddle bags. I gotta show ya my Raccoon Tail
View attachment 97545View attachment 97546 View attachment 97542

That's a Cool walking stick. You are an artist.
I make Walking Canes for Old Guys. The hardest part is finding a hardwood tree branch with a natural handle.
I'm always on the look out for a nice hardwood tree branch.
I gotta cure the wood first then do a little sanding and shaping before I put spar varnish on it. A Brass name plate is a nice touch too.
Here is a pic of a few I just finished. I get good $$$ for em (all sold and ready for delivery)
Oh those are sweet! I so rarely find a branch just the right shape, kinda gave up looking. I started hitting the wood workers forum and asked how to attach a piece to another piece so it's good and strong. That picture of my luna stick there is my first attempt. Bought a plain wood ball, and the guys said best way is get a threaded rod, cut so a few inches goes in each piece, drill a hole slightly larger than the rod and use a good epoxy glue. I did have an issue though, drilling a straight hole into the ball was easy. The stick though, I just eyeballed it and well, wrong. Had to do a bit of fudging to make it work and that's partly why there is a collar of feathers around the base of the moon. Hiding my sloppy seam.
That stick is a first of it's kind so will remain in "the collection of the artist." But now that I did it once, more will come.

Well... it's finally starting to cool down just a bit. TIme to fuel up my new ride and see how she runs. Maybe I'll slap my gopro on my helmet and record it's maiden voyage.

I guess I jinxed myself by saying my speedometer still works after 15 years. The spedo gear still works and the odometer still works.
But today I had my bike up past 50mph and the spedo needle never came back. It"s stuck past 50mph.
I was going to order a new Whizzer speedometer today But if I put a new spedo on, The odometer will be at 0 miles. I still want to keep track of my total odometer miles since I got the bike new in 2005. I now have 37,919
So I will keep my spedo on my bike even though the speedometer needle don't work. the odometer still works and that's more important to me to keep track of my bikes total life miles.
It's not like I need the speedomete so I don't get a speeding ticket

Pic of my spedo with the needle stuck past 50mph :(
View attachment 97445
If you turn your speedo to the side so the needle is upwards that give it a few taps with your hand the needle may fall back towards the zero side. It happens all the time in cars with any of the analog gauges and usually a turn on their side and a couple tappy tap taps and the needle drops back to the other side. Hopefully that works for ya.

If you turn your speedo to the side so the needle is upwards that give it a few taps with your hand the needle may fall back towards the zero side. It happens all the time in cars with any of the analog gauges and usually a turn on their side and a couple tappy tap taps and the needle drops back to the other side. Hopefully that works for ya.
Thanks for the Info I'll give it a try.
My spedo needle always used to tap out at 50mph the needle wouldn't go any farther than 50mph.
But the day my spedo broke the needle was at 50mph then I looked again and it was way past 50mph Then as I slowed down the needle didn't move it just sat there like it was stuck. I kinda think the spring sprung. I'll take it off and see if I can get it to fix it's self.
I wish I could open the spedo up but it's a sealed can. At least the Odometer still works

I have a Whizzer Tachometer that I took off my bike many years ago. Maybe I'll mount it back on my bike?
Pic of Tac and Spedo combo from many many years ago.

Attachments

• 100_4942.JPG
    100_4942.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 168
Thanks for the Info I'll give it a try.
My spedo needle always used to tap out at 50mph the needle wouldn't go any farther than 50mph.
But the day my spedo broke the needle was at 50mph then I looked again and it was way past 50mph Then as I slowed down the needle didn't move it just sat there like it was stuck. I kinda think the spring sprung. I'll take it off and see if I can get it to fix it's self.
I wish I could open the spedo up but it's a sealed can. At least the Odometer still works

I have a Whizzer Tachometer that I took off my bike many years ago. Maybe I'll mount it back on my bike?
Pic of Tac and Spedo combo from many many years ago.
Just get a new one and run it on a drill till it matches up on the odometer :LOL:, or maybe you can use the new one to replace the broken part. If it's just a busted spring I'm sure you can find something at the hardware store.

Just get a new one and run it on a drill till it matches up on the odometer :LOL:, or maybe you can use the new one to replace the broken part. If it's just a busted spring I'm sure you can find something at the hardware store.
I thought about that but I would have to run the drill 24 - 7 @ 30 mph for almost 2 months to match 37,919 miles
By then the new $60 Whizzer spedo would probably break too. (I was thinking of using a fan motor). :LOL:

The Spedo is sealed, can't open it unless ya use a can opener

Last edited:
I thought about that but I would have to run the drill 24 - 7 @ 30 mph for almost 2 months to match 37,919 miles
By then the new $60 Whizzer spedo would probably break too. (I was thinking of using a fan motor). :LOL:

The Spedo is sealed, can't open it unless ya use a can opener
Nothing is Sealed you just havn't used a big enough hammer yet to open it

May I Suggest This One???

I'll use that hammer as a speedometer alignment tool. That should fix it. :LOL:

Glad your in the wind Bike looks good
You named your bike the Dream Catcher (y) Nice paint Job
I think I'll design a paint job for my next build and call it the Nightmare Catcher.

Back