Spoke adjustment

Axl Myk

Local time
11:28 AM
Rear wheel. I'd like to take it in for a tune up. Should I keep the rag joint on it?

??? Nobody?
For what its worth, when I used to have spoked wheels and did my own spoke adjustment before I had enough of constant spoke adjustments and went to mags, I never took off the rag joint and sprocket and I was able to adjust them up just fine with it still on the wheel...Just my 2 cents worth...lol.

Ps...My thinking on this???...Better to adjust it with anything thats gonna be a part of it then having to compensate for it later.

AM… I’d leave it on too.
I have never used a rag joint but it would seem if the wheel is trued without the rag joint then it is re-installed, the pressure the joint puts on the spokes may distort all that work a little.
The shop doing the work will tell you if they can do it with the joint installed.

Personally, I would only use a rag joint if I had absolutely, positively NO other option.
Always seemed a like a great way to destroy a whole bunch of spokes.
I am currently waiting for the 'Modus' hub adapter for my Raleigh C40, which has a 1 1/8" freewheel hub, if that doesn't fit, I'll use the rag joint until I can buy a rear wheel - or hub - that matches one of my adapters.

Getting the rag joint perfectly concentric takes some time and patience but then works rather well for what it is, I have a few customer builds that are getting to be over 20 years old and still using the original rag joint just had to replace the gear a couple times, like anything if you maintain it and check regularly they work as intended, I've honestly had more issues with adaptor types then the rag joint but nothing beats the disc mount hub!

Back