Wheels Spokeless wheels prototype

Wow... I had been thinking about that concept, including gluing a toothed belt to the inner surface of the wheel, (as opposed to machining a large ring gear,) so you could mount the motor inside the wheel....

Rather than supporting the wheel from the top, though, I was looking at a bottom support, with multiple rollers to distribute the forces.

Attachments

• Spokeless.JPG
    Spokeless.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 519
I have seen hubless rear wheels on custom motorcycles a few times. It looks like there is a lot of friction to be overcome.

problems with materials

The main problem I see is that a spoked bicycle wheel is so much stronger than a mere rim even if you add the gear. With the added weight of the drive gear I don't think you are saving anything.

Looks cool but I think its a bit of a fashion victim.

Mike the bike guy

retromike: I think thats kind of why its a news story since like wheelbender says I think its been done before, but I think this time they kind of did it.. right.

Haha.. *shrug* looks nifty in either case, and would probably be cheaper to make than the ultra quality ultra strong spoked wheels these engines (even a 50cc) seems to kind of *need*. I've had mine for very little time and already my wheel seems much less resilient.

Back