Spokes..

J

JemmaUK

I've had 3 spokes go out in a matter of days... but nothing for months.. and the same thing happened then.. where it was 4 of them in quick succession.

I have noticed that they tend to fail on the outside rim of the sheave (I ride a GEBE for those who dont know). Im wondering if it would be worth drilling out the mounts a little and padding them with something.

What I have also noticed, which might be worth other people looking into is that on the drive side the spoke nuts are pulling at an angle as if the whole wheel is twisted slightly... something that might explain periodical spoke breaks.

I have fitted up the #14 gear to my bike.. and it makes a massive difference.. while the bike is faster, its a lot more tractable and the higher ratio makes it a much more rideable bike... although it sometimes doesnt get to its top speed because the engine runs out of puff a little.. . but then 36.6mph out of 32cc is fairly impressive :D. Now.. if I ever get work *sigh* its time for a nice high performance carb.

I love riding and tinkering with the bike (although I could lose the spoke issue) and it gets alot of attention which is mostly good. I was very lucky in that the first of the MB kit makers I ran into was GEBE... I recommend them unreservedly.

Jemma xx

Dunno Jemma the maximum thickness spoke the Drive Ring is capeable of but i would certanly be looking into it...i would also be looking into why your breaking spokes cos yours seems more common(not uncommon,just more common) than most other GEBE riders.
If u can lace your own wheels(or pay someone) it might be possible to go to 10G........heck,even lower if that's possible.
I'm not aware of any padding material but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist and i agree with u that the spoke configuration seems wierd.........PM The Wheelmaster if he's around and get a professional opinion.

PS....check your Drive Ring to make sure it's EXACTLY centre & the ring itself is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jemma, I ride a GEBE with 12 ga spokes. I have zipties where the spokes cross. Keeps them from flexing. I have over 1200 miles without a spoke problem. Of course, I don't run the tuned pipe that adds the extra power that you do.

Hi Jemma, check out what shipping would be to Auburn Washington from where you are, if it's not too rediculously expensive maybe I can help you out, or, I can ship you some spokes in the mail ? (not my usual practice) but since your having troubles I would like to help if I can, If I build the wheel I can gaurantee it for life, it's kinda spendy but it pays off in the long run, the busted spoke blues are a thing of the past when I'm done with it, and be sure to ship the drive ring with it as I'll need to slightly enlarge the slots to accept the larger gauge spokes, feel free to contact me.. Jim

I think it is time to seriously consider a new wheel !! I think that one is going to go Kaput !

Spokes

Heres an example of a recent big spoke wheel I made, this is WAY overkill for your 32cc motor, I could use #10 gauge with no probs for yours and it woudn't be quite so heavy, the drive ring needs to have the slots enlarged slightly but the process is quite easy and painless, this pic is a wheel with #8 gauge spokes.
Allot of the Bike shops scoff at me and say the Hub will break from the holes being too big in the hub, a three or Four cross lace pattern allows for plenty of Material in the hub to pull against and I've not had any issues, anyways, this is just another option for you, Mag wheels are pretty durable as well and might be more available to you in your location, I'm sure shipping would be pretty expensive... here's the pic.. 0 003.jpg if this doesn't work, check out the thread above....

Jemma,
Try this link (http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.htmland) scroll down to the part about 'radial' spoking. It worked for me as I was breaking on average 3 spokes each time out. It got more costly than driving my V8 truck to work so I pretty much gave up on motored biking to work. I never broke another spoke after radial spoking the left side of the drive wheel. However, other bike issues pretty much soured me on this in general as a viable mode of transportation. It was fun, but not reliable. There is no doubt in my mind that you are more than capable of respoking a wheel and truing it--cheap and easy.
WC

Spokes

I know the WheelMaster does supremely good and dependable work. But, the shipping may be a killer. Still, this is a premier choice and worth it, if you motor HOT a lot, as I suspect you do from your contributions here.

Also, I believe GEBE has some laced wheels with heavy spokes. You would have to install your axle, cassette, etc, of course, but shipping is consideration. Still, these guys and gals know their stuff and worth at least an email.

But, when all is said, you are a hands-on gal, so maybe lace the wheel yourself and you can use this very easy tutorial as guide:

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#lacing

I should also add the idea of using wire nuts also called "split bolts" - small ones - to hold spokes and ring in center by anchoring certain spokes.

You will have to search that out here, and the information is good - from Augidog, Roy Carpenter and others who have "standing" here. Maybe the UK has company that makes smaller versions that can be adapted...I sent some to Roy, I believe. They were too big and heavy for my bunny rides.

Try searching for discussion and some pics of split bolts and tying down spokes etc: https://motoredbikes.com/search

and here (some overkill and wonders a bit) https://motoredbikes.com/threads/gebe-dons-66-heavy-duti-eho35.13045/

If you can find some wee split ring "drill stops," they might be best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back