Sportsman Flyer Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 25783
  • Start date
Here is another thing, Be careful what you want. Do not exceed your capability's unless you have a good machine shop accessible. I own one and a good one at that.
Having performed work in trade for goods with CostomMotoredBicycles.com I was offered a laced free wheel with disc brake threaded mounting holes which was a return. ( Broken Screw ).
Today I made a setup in the Bridgeport, the rim supported by blocks on either side of the mill vise. I had the freewheel sprocket against the mill vise jaw so it would not change position. Setup complete, all six holes redrilled and rethreaded
1/4=28 NF thread which for it's size I think superior to 6mm x 1.
There is more to this story, but I have been up since 3 AM. I'm running out of gas.
Tom from Rubicon

Aye, aye. Good advice. I was thinking about reversing my HS-142F on the mount and then trying to setup a CCW gearing to a SBP freewheel but the problem with that is #1 it is untested and #2 I don't think I can align the SBP freewheel with the drive sprocket. So, something like this which butre said could work...

Attachments

• new tran mock up.jpg
    new tran mock up.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 398
Aye, aye. Good advice. I was thinking about reversing my HS-142F on the mount and then trying to setup a CCW gearing to a SBP freewheel but the problem with that is #1 it is untested and #2 I don't think I can align the SBP freewheel with the drive sprocket. So, something like this which butre said could work...
That could actually work. A jackshaft could be used to properly align the chain. Love the drawing, very useful in explaining the concept, stared at it a few moments :D.

That could actually work. A jackshaft could be used to properly align the chain. Love the drawing, very useful in explaining the concept, stared at it a few moments :D.

Thanks, i think the drawing is better than the Mona Lisa! I am going to get a pocket bike transmission to replace my gasbike one and will need to remove the engine to drill new holes for alignment. I guess I can really give if reversing the engine is possible (clearance with mount, enough space for setup) a good look. I would like to avoid as many extra gears/jackshafts as possible otherwise it would be better to just go with the entire SBP kit instead of only the freewheel and a couple of sprockets.

A letter to Sportsman Flyer;
" Better than Christmas, I got what I wanted.
The quality of the Engine Mount System exceeds my expectations.
Came home from work today and installed the system in my frame in 10 min..
Only thing I did extra was brake and polish the inside corners of the clamp straps.
To minimize scratches in the paint.
The top engine mount…. a fine piece of engineering. "

Mounting the engine is super simple,
1. Unbolt engine bracket from cradle.
2. Screw 4, 8mm bolts thru bracket into engine block
3. Replace engine bracket in cradle and refasten.
Done.

Attachments

• DSCN0683.JPG
    DSCN0683.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 553
Last edited by a moderator:
upload_2016-9-18_9-42-25.png

Transmission in, had to cut down the width of the bike stand clamp to 2 3/8". The Q-matic clutch bracket extends 2" beyond the mounting plate. Sportsman Flyer engine mounts have no side way adjustment.

Tom, you're building what I want. I'm going to follow you're progress and will probably have many questions since I'm a newb. I'm good with bicycles and small engines. Also know a machinist and a fitter who happens to buils custom Harleys. I may actually have a motor mount tig welded directly to the frame. If he can do motorcycles, I'm sure that a motorized bicycle is no challenge for him!

Back