Sportsman Flyer Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 25783
  • Start date
For those new to this thread I am building a Sportsman Flyer one off.
DSCN0692.JPG

The Q-matic transmission has been a challenge from the get go. The trans frame as delivered that CustomMotoredBicycles ordered for me was not the right one. So I made a new one of 6061 T6 1/4" thick. A Q-matic does not fit a drop loop Flyer frame without some engineered modification as the inside clutch support bracket interferes with chain stay primarily and seat tube secondarily. The clutch support bracket has to be modified and then a block of 6061T6 aluminum 2X2X2.5 has to be machined to replace the section removed. This all sounds complicated but it really was just more work to reach a goal. Left side bracket is OEM, the red section is my modification. It seems that when ever I go where I have never been before, I approach everything incrementally. It is very time consuming.
Next challenge is intake and exhaust manifolds.

Tom, you're building what I want. I'm going to follow you're progress and will probably have many questions since I'm a newb. I'm good with bicycles and small engines. Also know a machinist and a fitter who happens to buils custom Harleys. I may actually have a motor mount tig welded directly to the frame. If he can do motorcycles, I'm sure that a motorized bicycle is no challenge for him!
Kevin, PM me if you like.

Another thought This could be another solution 3dmotorsport . If they stay in business would be interesting.
A manual clutch offers engine braking, and possibly allow low speed acceleration when called to parade duty.
I was offered a place in the Ontario,WI 4th of July parade. I declined because a centrifugal clutch doesn't start to fully engage at 15 mph and above. In retrospect, I could have performed loops around sections of the parade.
This is another quandary. Burn out my Huffy Davidson or.... to be continued. Replies encouraged.
Tom from Rubicon,WI

This thread will be like having someone walking me through the build. Only in planning stage right now. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on this, I want it 100% planned out. That way I hope to run into only 40% problems ;). Wish I could build one of these geared the way they're meant to be. Pa laws don't allow that. Going to push it with a 79 cc Predator with one of Lynn's 49 cc stickers. We're supposed to run 50 cc or less.

A question I do have is this: Would the 79 cc Lifan motor have made the job easier since the motor is already at 90 degrees instead of being on a slant?

Next challenge is intake and exhaust manifolds.

It goes to show despite how much we bash the Chinese kits they have done quite a bit of work to make them almost "out of the box" ready. Keep working on it! It is getting cold though. I've been thinking about making a 20" folding bike friction drive with a pocket bike motor (or better).

I need to do the calculations but I am thinking it should have a lot of torque without sacrificing a 30-35 mph top speed range and it just looks damn cool. Plus, it is great for short people and you can throw it in the trunk of a car or back of a SUV without fear of gas spills. A couple of issues: one the only guy that has it on YouTube is not responding to questions, the staton-inc guys are not really saying if it will or will not work and suggested this super expensive kit instead of the standard $120, and most likely you will have to do some modifications to get the staton-inc friction drive to fit correctly on a 20" tire and frame...

This guy has a really nice setup to disengage the friction drive from the tire but I am fine with just getting off the bike and unlocking it like other friction drive guys.

Kevin, I have zero experience with a lifan. I went Predator 79cc because that is the engine that Pat Dolan'
Sportsman Flyer 80 is based on. The problems I have incurred I caused by choosing a Q=matic transmission.
Pat has a well engineered transmission that in hindsight I should have chosen. The Flyer 80 engine mount is a flawless work of art and designed for the "Worksman Drop Frame" specifically. If you are financially able I would say,
"Do not pass Go - Go directly to Sportsman Flyer website". Pat's toll free # does not work, you have to make contact
via email.
I have also purchased Pat's Sportsman Flyer fuel tank and tool box. Total value of that purchase = the cost of 49cc 4stroke BikeBerry kit + a Huffy Cranbrook build.

It goes to show despite how much we bash the Chinese kits they have done quite a bit of work to make them almost "out of the box" ready. Keep working on it! It is getting cold though. I've been thinking about making a 20" folding bike friction drive with a pocket bike motor (or better).

I need to do the calculations but I am thinking it should have a lot of torque without sacrificing a 30-35 mph top speed range and it just looks damn cool. Plus, it is great for short people and you can throw it in the trunk of a car or back of a SUV without fear of gas spills. A couple of issues: one the only guy that has it on YouTube is not responding to questions, the staton-inc guys are not really saying if it will or will not work and suggested this super expensive kit instead of the standard $120, and most likely you will have to do some modifications to get the staton-inc friction drive to fit correctly on a 20" tire and frame...

This guy has a really nice setup to disengage the friction drive from the tire but I am fine with just getting off the bike and unlocking it like other friction drive guys.

Stanton = $$$ and their customer service has a poor reputation. I have never given friction drive much consideration, though it has been around for 100+ years. I saw a front wheel friction drive bike on Milwaukee Craigslist for a little over $100. It is a fixer upper.
My coworker with the 212cc build is starting a trike build. I will have to get some photos of it. I warned him that there are stability problems that result from exceeding 20mph which he has dismissed

Yeah, there's a reason trikes were banned years ago. At least the wheelbase on on a pedal trike is longer and more stable. They use Workman trikes around the plant I work at. Nice units. They would make a great build.

This thread will be like having someone walking me through the build. Only in planning stage right now. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on this, I want it 100% planned out. That way I hope to run into only 40% problems ;). Wish I could build one of these geared the way they're meant to be. Pa laws don't allow that. Going to push it with a 79 cc Predator with one of Lynn's 49 cc stickers. We're supposed to run 50 cc or less.

A question I do have is this: Would the 79 cc Lifan motor have made the job easier since the motor is already at 90 degrees instead of being on a slant?
I can't answer that one Kevin, but having just had a phone conversation with Quenton Guenther he was not very supportive regarding a vertical 79cc HF set up. Quenten stated that engine failures are frequent with a vertical HF.
Mostly due to inadequate engine venting caused by the extra volume of oil needed to lubricate the engine. I am going to have to have to find a way to remedy this condition. Sportsman Flyer's that Dolan builds have no history of this problem.

Had a phone conversation with Quenton Guenther today to ask him for advise. If you review my previous posts you will see the engine - transmission. They are at 90 degrees, as such the lower part of the chain loop will not clear the chain stay.
I will have to rotate the main plate 15 to 20 degrees upward to clear the chain stay. There are other details which when the mods are completed I will photo and post. This is a important thing to consider if you want a Sportsman Flyer.
Pat Dolan has a well engineered and proven design , if you choose not to use his kit complete you set yourself up for a learning curve of engineering development that is yours and you will be responsible for the out come. I think I will succeed and as I have said I will make progress reports as I am able. Tom from Rubicon, WI

Back