USA Sportsman Flyer Reviews

Anton

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
11:47 PM
Screenshot from 2021-09-23 09-44-26.png

Sportman flyer design and build retro style board track racer motorized bicycles and motorcycles.

Products: Retro style motorized bicycles and parts

Bought fuel tank, toolbox, worksman frame, sprocket adapter, & some other worksman parts. Several separate shipments.
PLUS's:
1. Pat makes high quality stuff, there's no doubt.
2. Prices seem okay, considering the workmanship that you are getting.
3. He is willing to ship international (I'm in New Zealand).
4. He gave me a free T shirt (they are nice shirts).
NEGATIVE's:
1. He suggested overcharging me for shipping a part, so that he didn't have to get a shipping estimate before charging me. I went along with it. He said he would credit the overcharge on the next item I got, but he never did.
2. Pat has a dayjob. So you may have to wait a long time for your order. For frames, any time from 3 to 6 months. He says 'a few weeks' but that seems to end up being 6 weeks, 3 months, or more.
3. Doesn't always answer emails.
4. Toolbox (fake oil tank) is very nicely made, but if you don't mount it over to the right (instead of centred on the frame) then it rubs on the motor drive chain.
5. The fuel cap literally spewed out fuel like a volcano, as soon as you started riding. He admitted this had been a problem. I dunno if it got fixed for later customers. I took out the little nylon insert inside the cap; this helped, although you could then smell a stronger fuel smell around the bike after taking this out. It now seeps fuel still, especially when riding. So was never solved. You can't really fill the tank up very high because of this.

After getting a standard worksman frame, I decided to order a drop loop frame from Pat. It took so long (many months went by) that I gave up & didn't bother.

Bought fuel tank, toolbox, worksman frame, sprocket adapter, & some other worksman parts. Several separate shipments.
PLUS's:
1. Pat makes high quality stuff, there's no doubt.
2. Prices seem okay, considering the workmanship that you are getting.
3. He is willing to ship international (I'm in New Zealand).
4. He gave me a free T shirt (they are nice shirts).
NEGATIVE's:
1. He suggested overcharging me for shipping a part, so that he didn't have to get a shipping estimate before charging me. I went along with it. He said he would credit the overcharge on the next item I got, but he never did.
2. Pat has a dayjob. So you may have to wait a long time for your order. For frames, any time from 3 to 6 months. He says 'a few weeks' but that seems to end up being 6 weeks, 3 months, or more.
3. Doesn't always answer emails.
4. Toolbox (fake oil tank) is very nicely made, but if you don't mount it over to the right (instead of centred on the frame) then it rubs on the motor drive chain.
5. The fuel cap literally spewed out fuel like a volcano, as soon as you started riding. He admitted this had been a problem. I dunno if it got fixed for later customers. I took out the little nylon insert inside the cap; this helped, although you could then smell a stronger fuel smell around the bike after taking this out. It now seeps fuel still, especially when riding. So was never solved. You can't really fill the tank up very high because of this.

After getting a standard worksman frame, I decided to order a drop loop frame from Pat. It took so long (many months went by) that I gave up & didn't bother.
I feel your pain Brett.
t seems like when Pat sends the order he is done with you. I purchased a complete bike to start with. For some reason he changed my order and all I got was the frame. He did not charge me for the complete bike but now I seem to be on my own to complete the order to make it a complete bike. After several emails that went unanswered, I too am giving up. I have to go elsewhere to find the pieces I need. In which I am having great difficulty. The quality of work Pat does is outstanding but his followup ethics suck.

Pat must have read the above feed back. I have been well served by Pat, he replies to emails even when his workload is very heavy. Back orders are attributed to machine shop venders who if you are not a steady customer, will complete your order in slow times of their meat and potato clients. Pat rates an A from me.
Tom from Rubicon

Hello, just wondering if anyone can tell me about ridability of these bikes? The frame looks really long and you have to lean so ar foreward it looks like this bike was designed only for tall ppl to ride. I am 5'7" should I just pass on this one and build something else? I know they make a cruiser version but it's just not the same to me and I really want this bike. Feedback appreciated thanks!

Hello, just wondering if anyone can tell me about ridability of these bikes? The frame looks really long and you have to lean so ar foreward it looks like this bike was designed only for tall ppl to ride. I am 5'7" should I just pass on this one and build something else? I know they make a cruiser version but it's just not the same to me and I really want this bike. Feedback appreciated thanks!
John,
Look at early 1900's motorcycles. My Sportsman Flyer is using Wald 867 handle bars.
Mind you I started with Pat's SF80 engine kit instead of a complete bike. See if Pat will work with you to personalize a bike.
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Back