Chain Tensioner Spring loaded Chain Tensioner - What roller would you use

digital_life

Local time
8:21 PM
I recently bought a Spring tensioner for my bike and I'm a little concerned about the roller (or whatever you call it) and it looks to me like it's an accident waiting to happen.

1611178407865.png

Specifically this piece

1611178572912.png

1611178694064.png

Should I replace it with this one if it fits without touching the frame I have not tried it yet but I think it will fit.
1611178920699.png

More picks because I really like my bike
1611180359053.png

1611180942596.png

Also since I got you guy's and gals here one more question.

I had to remove one nut to make it aline with the center of the chain, Do you think it might cause problems in the future.

Here is the way it came
1611181876751.png

1611184983815.png

aline.jpg

1611184007820.png

Should I put a flat washer between the two pieces of metal since they are touching but loose enough move up and down, that nut at the end is a nylock so I think it will not move but I probably will use some blue locktight on it.

Last edited:
Don't fix it unless it breaks which I doubt. It looks decent made my friend gary swears by the sprocket type roller. If you use a different roller the skateboard type is better than the stock one in the 4th picture.

K thank you I guess I will keep it

Is roller the proper name for it

While your here do you have any thoughts on my second question

Last edited:

It's called an idler sprocket. You shouldn't need the other one that is attached to the frame. Put the idler in the hole closest to the wheel.

It's called an idler sprocket.
Thank you
You shouldn't need the other one that is attached to the frame
I probably will once I trust it.

Put the idler in the hole closest to the wheel.
The wheel on there right now is too big the roller will hit the tire it's 26x2.2 also the tire is rubbing on the chain, the bike came with a 26x1.95 so I think I'm going to get either 26x2 or 26x2.1 I'm not riding it right now because of that.

Just thought of another question -- if I had a bike with rear shocks would this keep the chain tight enough while riding on bumpy roads or a dirt trail.

Thanks for your tip's - this site is awesome

I have the same tensioner , I removed the nut between the arm and plate ,also spring is kind of weak , had to wire it so it limited movement , and do locktite all the nuts , they loosen quickly without.

Back