Chain Tensioner Spring Loaded Chain Tensioner

gearhead222

Local time
8:48 AM
Dear Fellow Members-I bought a spring loaded tensioner off of EGay from CJR imports awhile back . Basically it's a small triangular piece of plate steel with a swing arm mounted tensioner wheel on one corner of the triangle and a small spring mounted on the tip of the swing arm going back to the triangular piece. It's supposed to be installed so that the spring PULLS on the idler wheel to apply tension to the bike chain. Tried to find a pic from the CJR/Livefastmotors site but they have none:( Am wondering if the provided spring is adequate and if spring loaded tensioners generally need less tension to work compared to a rigid idler wheel. Really seems like a better design than the fixed idler wheel, but of course I don't want to trash my motor due to the tensioner not working correctly and having the chain jump off of the sprocket and ruining the engine case. Thanx for any specific info:)-Gearhead

Spring loaded tensioners need a strong spring to work correctly.
With a weak springed tensioner some folks have had the upper chain run bind up around the engine sprocket when they go to pedal start the engine. The top chain run always goes slack when the chain drives the engine and too much slack can lead horrible situations.
If you can limit just how much slack happens when you pedal start the engine than a weaker spring can be used to reduce the strain on the chain, engine bearing(s), and wheel bearings.

Dear Gearnut-Just ordered a high quality rubber covered metal wheel and tensioner spring from Baja Motorsports. Would like to buy a #41 chain from Tractor Supply, but it doesn't have a master link. How do you install one of these? If not this, then what kind of heavy duty bike chain could I use? I plan on removing enough links to have as little slack as possible and then install the tensioner with as much spring tension as possible. My present setup, with the stock fixed tensioner and stock chain, is a POS and an accident waiting to happen. Thanx again for any help:)-Gearhead

Just bought that KMC chain and it is one heavy duty chain! Should work great with that Tractor Supply idler wheel! Thanx again:)-Gearhead.

Back