Springer Fork for Schwinn Beach Cruiser

• Thread starter Deleted Member 4613
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 4613

I'm looking for a recommendation on a good springer fork for my
Schwinn Riverside Cruiser, maybe one that can accept a disk brake.
Any suggestions?

The last true Springer fork was made in 1988 long before disc brakes. They had a very good quality spring that is no longer available. Anything newer will be a reproduction and the springs are no where as good. I sold mine a year ago Mike. Here's a guy that can explain the differences.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
My 26" Huffy with springer front. It's very old Schwinn that was handed down through several friends before I got it . I like that its adjustable. It was necessary to Loc Tite all the hardware in place because it was always coming loose. Other than that, it works great! Stroll through your local flea market often, check out garage and yard sales.

huffy03.jpg

Since this photo was taken, I've converted over to mag wheels and disc brakes.

I can't believe that all springer forks are bad. What about sunlight?
It just has to be reasonably good quality. I need a reasonably priced
shock absorption solution. Right now, I feel every bump in the
road. Maybe a springer fork with v-brake mounts. Here's one:
Do you want to be styling or comfort?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Mike, the construction of the reproduced Springer fork is the same. I would think the wall thickness on the tubes would be also. The weak point is the spring itself. The last good quality spring was made in 1988. The metal used in the newer ones is not as good. I was told this by a friend and a reputable bike shop owner in Santa Barbara who I would trust with my life.

Unless you're going for the "Chopper" look, which it doesn't sound like, I would personally choose the other fork at the bottom of the page you posted. The one with two vertical springs. You could replace these springs with something different from McMaster Carr if you ever wanted to change the ride. And it has a disc brake mount. I'm sure you can find one that isn't for a Fat Tire. I did not know there is an adapter available for putting a DB on a Springer. Seems like anything is possible now days.

I may have to think about this. I see there are forks with both v-brake and
disk brake mounts. More expensive, but better built and safer than
springer forks.

Back