Sprocket Adapter for Schwinn Meridian

I am in the process of motorizing a Schwinn Meridian trike, absolutely don't want to use the pineapple/rag joint on the free wheel. The Meridian's free wheel hub accurately measures .75", I was informed that the smallest available diameter adapters are 1" because smaller hubs can't absorb or would slip from the applied torque. Is it possible to buy and install some type of free wheel sprocket on the meridians rear axle? I am a somewhat unskilled backyard mechanic, could I install a free wheel sprocket?
Appreciate any advice,
Seanik (Jerry in Erie Pa)

If you surf the forums, you’ll find that members have shimmed and JB welded the hub to the adapter.

Yeah I'm not sure about that JB Weld is $5 for 2 ounces and the PLpremium is like $6 for 10 oz of PL premium is stupid strong I do like JB Weld it's just kind of pricey and some kind of a pain in the butt to mix. But I do agree I should roughin up the Hub so it has something to grab onto

id go with a 3/4 or 1in pipe (those galvanized pipes at lowes for like 85 cents)
since the inner diameter is slightly smaller than 3/4 and the outsize is closer to 1in
I finally got to get her redone.

Just to eyeball her::

1607907897592.png

Hot glued a single layer of old tire tube to the .75 inch hub for the new Jerry rigged adapter to bite into to::

1607907929488.png

Closer look at the tube adapters they were 1.5" length if anyone's counting::

1607908034063.png

Coded the two sides since they are "keyed" for their side.

1607908090491.png

More hot glue just for prep purposes, other side are touching::

1607908165389.png

She's finally upgraded with the big box adapter and there's NO play!

1607908255244.png

Next I have to weld a tube for the chain tensioner to hold onto and go for another test ride. I've also wondered if "shimming" the left side of the motor mount would be a better method of getting chain sloop out of her?

once you get the adapter attached to the axle you screw on a freewheel and the you can bolt a sprocket to that .. No JB weld a predator 212 cc is a bit much for that trike could be a dangerous situation with JB Weld . Even if done correctly. Iv seen welds brake on Meridians running the predictor

if you Meridian is a newer model you need a 17mm adapter for freewheel sprocket https://cycleqmx.com/store/p_2095879/freewheel-adapter-17mm. Staton has it as well but it could take months for him to ship

She one of the newer ones, I got her after the 'vid shut us down. The suggestion above to use Inch tube was a great idea and worked out well. There is no play in the adapter now. Its all metal now with a bit of rubber between the hub and the adapter for some grip.

I'm not sure how this freewheel adapter would work with this. Do you have a better picture of this being fitted?

once you get the adapter attached to the axle you screw on a freewheel and the you can bolt a sprocket to that .. No JB weld a predator 212 cc is a bit much for that trike could be a dangerous situation with JB Weld . Even if done correctly. Iv seen welds brake on Meridians running the predictor
So this goes to the middle exposed area of the trike then.

212 is fine for the trike I'm around 200lbs I need something strong to get me up. I got up to 35ish with the old adapter. I'm hoping to get past 40mph once I've got her dialed in. I know 60+ is achievable as well, not sure if I want to try that yet. I'll post a video here if I can do it right. She's also a lot quieter than a 2 stroke too.

The first pic is the adapter you attach to the axle .the second pic you screw on to the adapter, its a freewheel only grabs and turns the axle in one direction the other direction it just freewheels so you can pedal the bike with no drag from the motor

axle adapter.jpg
freewhell.jpg

I have a GX50 on my trike It would run 40 If I changed the sprocket on it. That's just to fast for me . It fits under the basket. Quitter than the predator, 4 stroke, half the weight

Ok
The first pic is the adapter you attach to the axle .the second pic you screw on to the adapter, its a freewheel only grabs and turns the axle in one direction the other direction it just freewheels so you can pedal the bike with no drag from the motor

View attachment 102293View attachment 102294
ok so it lies between the chassis and the wheel hub. Got it, if my next setup fails ill certainly give it a try as well. Do you know what the return policy is for these? I'd be more worried that it would freewheel in the standard/CCW fashion rather than CW. Also same with threading CCW or CW as well.

Back