Sprocket Adapter Slippage

pwd847

It sounds like the bolts are slightly too long and you're bottoming out in the hole. Try grinding them down a few millimeters, or if you want to check you put a Sharpie mark on the very bottom of the bolt, screw in the bolt and when you unscrew it see if the mark has been rubbed off any.
I wondered about this. I'll try that. Thanks!

I don't think I should add a washer because the head of the bolts are sunk into the adapter.

Last edited:

inspectorcritic

Those are for disk brake not rim brakes. Should have said it in the description but probably didn't.
Okay, me and Bikebury don't know that.
Did you say you have a disk adapter?
I had 6 cog mags from Gazbikes the pads work okay I converted front wheel to disk because I couldn't find an adapter for the rear wheel.

inspectorcritic

View attachment 87573View attachment 87574
this adapter held the sprocket too far away from the spokes even I put the adapter on the lathe and took some off the inner back side. I didn't know of a 1 piece spacer ring then, so I fabbed a bevel rubber washer in the sprocket indents and 12 washers. but the washers would slip and were not perfectly flat, just cheapies. sprocket was from MZ Miami. not sure exactly where I got the disc adapter. plenty of room tho for a caliper and disc away from the sprocket with this setup. but I don't like QR hubs. I bent this one in like 3 weeks so it's sat for almost 2 years now. maybe I'll redo it it and put it on my next 2 stroke build.
I need this spacer $15:
View attachment 87580
Where did you get the spacer?
I can't find a place that sales them seperate.

JerboaJohn

mbrebel.com has spacers different sizes. everyone says disc sprocket mount with disc brakes about the best setup. worth the hassle, ,
high dollar option is a ghettobike hub puts the disc brake on other side

gary55

I wondered about this. I'll try that. Thanks!

I don't think I should add a washer because the head of the bolts are sunk into the adapter.
If off the hub the thing tightens and won't separate then shorter bolts or washers won't help.

Last edited:

Fixing

it will leave marks on the hub but you can score lines in the adapter raising a tiny bit of material that bites into the hub. much like the knurling that handlebars have.
I've used a piece of sports friction tape also n everything u tried too. I limited it to 2mm slippage in 600 or so miles and after another 100mi, spokes will need replaced i know,,,

a disc brake mount w 6 bolts is really the best setup
Give up the clamshell it will eventually slip no matter how tight u get it the engine has to much torque the only way I see it working is if the inside had teeth on the in side and the hub had the same but going in opposite direction so the to could lock in to each other but no one makes these this way I will never spend any more money on this I have tried shims and still no good results so next move is to get a rim with a disc hub mount

Lukesky36

Give up the clamshell it will eventually slip no matter how tight u get it the engine has to much torque the only way I see it working is if the inside had teeth on the in side and the hub had the same but going in opposite direction so the to could lock in to each other but no one makes these this way I will never spend any more money on this I have tried shims and still no good results so next move is to get a rim with a disc hub mount
i beg too differ my clamshell never slipped and i had it on for 6 months so far riding it almost every day