Sprocket adapter slipping

cranker789

Local time
8:13 PM
Hey guys, the sprocket adapter on my bike keeps slipping and breaking my spokes. I just replaced 9 spokes on my back wheel. 3 were broken and 6 were bent. I put the adapter back on with lock tight and screwed it in as much as possible with an allen key. I tried to line the hub with some rubber tubing but then the adapter wouldn't fit with it on there. I took the bike out for a ride and it's slightly bent a few spokes again, so it's still slipping on the hub. Any tips on getting the sprocket adapter to stay put? I thought about using some metal on metal glue, but I think that's a last resort option. Any ideas?

Did the shim stock solution work for you? I am having the same problem. I thought about getting some JB Weld Steel Stick epoxy putty and using that to sandwich between the clamshell and the hub but I don't think that would hold....and if it did, it would be a bear to get off again without my workshop tools accessible here in Korea. I just had my rear wheel spokes repaired but I don't want to risk immediately damaging the spokes again until I think I have a decent solution in place to try again. Let me know

Old thread, but i think you could solve it by using a super thin layer of jb weld to affix one or more layers of 120-220 grit sandpaper to the adapter's inner surface

Did the shim stock solution work for you? I am having the same problem. I thought about getting some JB Weld Steel Stick epoxy putty and using that to sandwich between the clamshell and the hub but I don't think that would hold....and if it did, it would be a bear to get off again without my workshop tools accessible here in Korea. I just had my rear wheel spokes repaired but I don't want to risk immediately damaging the spokes again until I think I have a decent solution in place to try again. Let me know
Korea sounds like a good excape... Must be interesting to hang out there traveling with a motorized bike, how does the society look at bikes like that? Cool with them or not?

Same problem here. I've tried everything even resorted to fabricating and machining /drilling into the inside of the adapter and into the hub to fit a 1/4" aluminum dowel/key. Took alot of tedious time and work. Still slipping. My last try is to permanently bond the sprocket adapter to the hub with J.B. Weld Steel Stick on the perimeter of the adapter where is meets the hub (like a weld. Permanently) I've used on other things in the past and it's no joke (sustains 900 lbs per Sq inch). Also the sprocket adapter is a great concept but poorly executed. Physics defeats it. Too much torque and leverage at the wheels and pedals.
P.s. just noticed someone else mentioned jb weld too. I think it the only thing that could work. I'll be doing forst thing on the morning. I'll keep you posted.

Back