Sprocket adapter slipping

Don't bother with the jb weld, the shear strength is so low it will release almost immediately from the hub. You should get some shim material, even the tube from an old aluminum bike can be chopped out and split along the side and wrapped around the hub in one or 2 pieces then torqued down. The key is to fill the space just enough so when tightened down properly the adapter simply can't slip. You'll need to provide enough torque on the adapter or it will slip regardless, you are talking about an engine capable of chopping your fingers off rather easily with a chain and sprocket, so put some muscle behind those bolts.

Btw. I forgot to mention. When I ordered my sprocket adapter from Manic Mechanic I also ordered two reducers (1" and .995") to account for the space between the sprocket adapter and the hub. Tried both and tightened until the bolts threads ended with all my strength. To no avail, they still slipped and we're bending spokes. I went through alot of back and forth correspondence with the guys at Manic Mechanic and tried everything. They even sent out a custom reducer after I send the sprocket back and they machined it some more. Still slipping. I machined the adapter key/dowel in to the hub and adapter and still slipping. Now I'll try the jb weld and post back tomorrow.

Clean the bejeezus out of the wheel and adapter contact surfaces, & rough the metal up with some 80 grit sandpaper. I've used Locktite (&/or super glue), both as a thread locker & where the adapter contacts the hub. I think they both help somewhat, but you shouldn't need to rely on adhesives to keep the adapter in place.

2019 here. Same problem on my 2nd wheel. Going to try the JB Weld in the morning as well haha!

2019 here. Same problem on my 2nd wheel. Going to try the JB Weld in the morning as well haha!
Use sandpaper on one of the half pieces of sprocket mount. Tape down a piece of sandpaper to a smooth surface. Use a circular motion till the one piece of sprocket mount is smaller, that way you can torque your Allen screws down without the 2 sides touching each other. I also cut a small Allen wrench in half and grind a groove in my hub and also in one of the sprocket mount halves. This will lock them together. No more broken spokes or slippage.

use locktite gap sealer instead of thread locker. i warn you though, the permanent gap filler needs to be heated to remove what ever you seal with it. it has different levels of gap sealing abilities, check the bottles. when needing to remove the adaptor, you may have to completely disassemble the rim, spokes and all to get it off. i say may, a lot of times emptying the hub and heating through the axle holes will get it hot enough.

the permant gap seal is strong enough to stay attached to the metal and tear a cheap hub in half without giving out. ( at the proper gap usage)

Hey guys, the sprocket adapter on my bike keeps slipping and breaking my spokes. I just replaced 9 spokes on my back wheel. 3 were broken and 6 were bent. I put the adapter back on with lock tight and screwed it in as much as possible with an allen key. I tried to line the hub with some rubber tubing but then the adapter wouldn't fit with it on there. I took the bike out for a ride and it's slightly bent a few spokes again, so it's still slipping on the hub. Any tips on getting the sprocket adapter to stay put? I thought about using some metal on metal glue, but I think that's a last resort option. Any ideas?
Get Mag Rims they have cog will never break or bend cost maybe $170.00 or less but be sure to order one that has a third gear attach if possible other wise use the 7 or 8 track console you half to trade to it.

Same problem here. I've tried everything even resorted to fabricating and machining /drilling into the inside of the adapter and into the hub to fit a 1/4" aluminum dowel/key. Took alot of tedious time and work. Still slipping. My last try is to permanently bond the sprocket adapter to the hub with J.B. Weld Steel Stick on the perimeter of the adapter where is meets the hub (like a weld. Permanently) I've used on other things in the past and it's no joke (sustains 900 lbs per Sq inch). Also the sprocket adapter is a great concept but poorly executed. Physics defeats it. Too much torque and leverage at the wheels and pedals.
P.s. just noticed someone else mentioned jb weld too. I think it the only thing that could work. I'll be doing forst thing on the morning. I'll keep you posted.
did the jb weld work

Op here. Never got to fix this problem as my bike got stolen off the front porch! That was years ago though. Good luck guys those bikes sure are fun. I was going to go with shim stock but never got around to it. Maybe a gap filler added if the shim stock slips still.

Back