Sprocket Alignment on Schwinn Cruiser (Typhoon)

D

dr_clabo

Hello -

I am installing a Chinese 80cc on a Schwinn Cruiser (Old Typhoon Reissue Type)...

The tank and engine are only mocked-up right now.

Superficially, the front sprocket doesn't seem to line-up.
Will this have to be removed? Shimmed? Reversed? Similar?

I can see that unfortunately, the rear fender will have to come off too for chain clearance.
Any ideas on that?

One last note: There is a huge space between the "up" bar and the other frame bar when mocking-up the mount.
I really wish to at least retain the original chain guard and not have to drill the frame - As it is a "small tube - Not a larger tube like the newer style bikes.

Also, is the brake hub going to be a nightmare?

I will try to load pics.

Thanks in advance,
~DC~

1106_randy_01_1.jpg

1106_randy_02_1.jpg

well, lose the fender or trim it to clear the chain...taking a 1/2" x 4" chunk outta mine did the trick.

when you actually get the engine mounted, the chain should be aligned enough, from what the pics show, anyway.

someone who owns a coaster brake will have to help with that part, i saw some recent topics about that very thing.

OK - fender will be an afterthought.

The chain still looks as if there "might" be interference with the rear tire - I suppose time will tell.....

About the engine mount.... That is quite a space to fill. The studs are not even long enough without going lower - That means losing the nice chain guard too.

I will check back - I encourage as much feedback as possible from all the members.

Even the crackpots - LOL - :)
Some good ideas come from the least expected source.

:p

Thanks guys,
~DC~

I can see that unfortunately, the rear fender will have to come off too for chain clearance.
Any ideas on that?

Oh man, dont take it off, it makes that bike. Just cut a small section out of it.

forgot to mention the mount question, but azkronic is right, imo, in suggesting you fill in the front gap instead of repositioning the engine.

in the "MBc Owner's Manual" you'll find a bit of good info about mounts, including more about this one:
74_December_014_1.jpg

i'm guessing a clamp-on adapter would solve your "no drilling" dilemna.

the rear fender will have to come off too for chain clearance.
Any ideas on that?
Oh man, dont take it off, it makes that bike. Just cut a small section out of it.

I know - I know..... More work - More work !!! :)

The first Schwinn I did was a 7 speed and went OK. A little long on labor as it was the first time.

I can see the coaster brake thing is labor as will be the fender (which I most likely will have to break out the die grinder upon).

More work - More work !!! :)

Should turn a few heads - Brings back the "Whizzer Days" to older dudes and even the older hotrod guys.

i'm an "older hotrod guy" and i can't wait to see finished pics in the gallery 8)

in the "MBc Owner's Manual" you'll find a bit of good info about mounts, including more about this one:

Whoa ! That is some serious space on the front mount !

I really wish to avoid drilling the frame for more reasons than one.
One reason is that it is the smaller tube frame.
Structural integrity - Keeping as much original - Etc.

Perhaps there is a kit or an extension kit on Fleebay by now. I will have to search that later.

I will give this some serious thought before pressuring up the air compressor and breaking out every tool in the box.

If I can keep the grinding, drilling and cutting to a minimum, that is the look I am going to attempt to achieve. Less is more in this case; even if it requires more labor, per se.

The feedback from these threads are very inspiring I wish to most sincerely thank everyone that participates.

And, most sincerely thanks to guys who post and run the site for us hobbyist.

It is great appreciated.

Fender- cut out a small section, don't forget to de-burr and smooth it or it will start cracking.

Coaster brake- no biggie, take your time and do a little bending and grinding, easy as pie....heh heh. :devilish:

As for the bottom or front mount issue- a guy nearby here with a bike shop sells these mounted on his bikes and ready to go. He uses the stock adapter, but instead of drilling the frame, he mounts the plate, then uses a heavy muffler hanger, ("U" shaped) which he drills, then clamps on the frame with HOSE CLAMPS! Says it works fine.

Back