Sprocket bolted to the hub

On spoked bicycle wheels the offset of the top hat adapter is limited by the spokes exiting the hub flange. Multiple options are available for different hubs and wheel types.

Less offset is required for a single speed wheel because the whole hub is narrower.
More offset is required for a wider multi speed hub.
More offset is possible with a mag (spokeless/one piece) wheel than a spoked wheel.

The one piece offset sprocket from Russia is limited the same way, by the elbows of the spokes. There is only one offset available AFAIK and it is suited to use on a single speed bike, I believe.

The top hat adapters allow you to bolt the sprocket inboard (on the right hand side of the adapter), so you have the offset from the top hat plus the thickness of the sprocket.
Since it has a wider central hole and is bolted on at a wider radius, it can clear the spokes despite the extra offset.

You will need to measure your own bike to be certain of the offset you require. It may be impossible to get the rear sprocket perfectly lined up behind the front sprocket.
I was happy with 15mm offset on my bike with a 1/8" BMX chain (more flexible than 3/16"). 17mm would be better but was not possible.
I narrowed my front sprocket to fit narrower chain. By taking material only from the inboard side of the sprocket I moved the sprocket further outboard by a few millimetres.

I later switched to using a more flexible chain and supporting mods that allow for more discrepancy, and even allowing multiple sprockets.

Last edited:
Anyone have mag wheel that bolted a sprocket to disc brakes hub ,on a 29er and how was the chain alignment achieved

Back