Sprocket bolted to the hub

Most times, it’ll be towards the wheel. If you’re going to use a “dish” sprocket, that helps, because it will already have some offset to start with. Any alignment needs may be best to do with axle-center-adjustment, or truing the wheel to an offset. If more is needed, then you get into spacers and heavier adjustments, which could open other things up like eccentricity or trouble keeping things tightened. Start as solid as you can, with as few parts as possible, then adjust as needed (still, with as few parts as possible). If you can, spend some time looking through these guys’ pics, see how they’re mounting theirs — there’s some great work, if you look close.

Position of the rotor mount in relation to the centreline of the bike depends on the width of the rear hub.
Eg: 110mm single speed, 135mm multi speed, 200mm snow bike, something in between.

Ok I have 29 inch mongoose want to mount a sprocket on the disc is there a chain alignment issue and which way is it out or in towards the spokes

Ok I have 29 inch mongoose want to mount a sprocket on the disc is there a chain alignment issue and which way is it out or in towards the spokes

Well, mine’s a 29” Excursion (WallyWorld Mongoose). I tried the rag that came with a $129 kit, didn’t like it — bought disc hubs, hub-mount sprocket, new spokes and re-laced to my existing wheels. Again, that lesson came from looking through everyone’s experience and photos, and it was absolutely worth the time.

696C72C8-D9DE-48B0-9B17-2FF07206B5CD.jpeg
06072606-1E2B-42FE-953D-2DB7B720222A.png

Also I can see if it need to be out u could use washers with longer bolts but wat if it needs to go in ,do they make a sprocket that u can flip to make it go inwards towards spokes, my concern is chain alignment in this set up and how to accomplish a straight lines to the engine sprocket
I have my clamshell now welded on being th halfs one on each side of each clamp but It is now permanent

Also I can see if it need to be out u could use washers with longer bolts but wat if it needs to go in ,do they make a sprocket that u can flip to make it go inwards towards spokes, my concern is chain alignment in this set up and how to accomplish a straight lines to the engine sprocket
I have my clamshell now welded on being th halfs one on each side of each clamp but It is now permanent

Yes, there are offset hub-mounts out there, and will usually give you about 1/4” inset (when teeth are set inward, toward the spokes). For more inset, you’ll pro’ly have to do a CNC (the one I have was made in Russia, and it seems the dude has since vaporized). You can also work with axle center adjustment and spoke adjustments, which could offer another 3/4” or so if you’re really that far off.

Back