Sprocket Bolts.

Nitram

Local time
5:51 AM
HELLO FOLKS.
I HAVE JUST JOINED THE FORUM. I AM FROM THE NORTH OF IRELAND AND I HAVE JUST FINISHED TWO INSTALLATIONS OF THE 80cc ENGINES. MAYBE I HAVE NOT WATCHED ENOUGH VIDEOS ON THE INSTALLATION OF THE SPROCKET BUT THE ONES I HAVE WATCHED SHOWS EVERYBODY STRUGGLING WITH GETTING THE WASHERS AND NUTS ONTOMTHE BOLTS. MY APPROACH WAS FIRSTLY WAS TO CHUCK THE BOLTS THAT CAME WITH THE KIT AND USED STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS. THE SECOND THING I DID WAS TO PUT THE BOLTS FROM THE INSIDE OF THE WHEEL THROUGH THE PLATE THROUGH THE RUBBER AND FINALLY THROUGH THE SPROCKET. THIS MADE IT SIMPLE TO PUT THE NUTS ETC ONTO THE BOLTS. THE TIGHTENING OF THE NUTS WAS EASY AND MORE IMPORTANTLY YOU CAN SEE AT A GLANCE IF ANY OF THE NUTS HAVE LOOSENED AND FELL OFF.
YOU MAY HAVE TO CUT THE BOLTS AS THEY MAY TOUCH SOME OF THE FRAMES BUT TWO MINUTES WITH THE GRINDER SORTS THAT
MAYBE YOU ALL ARE DOING THIS ALREADY, BUT I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION IT.
Martin

Hey guy, WOW, those caps are blinding. There is a key over on the far left that will shut them down.

I think chucking the chinese bolts and threaded rod is a good idea, but not so in love with stainless steel fasteners.
They do work well in aluminum, but work harden with flex and gall up on steel or SS matching fasteners.
If one ever breaks, they are a Sum'biach to drill out. No, I'd just stick with good ol' 8.8 (mid-grade) metric fasteners.

The problem you note about the bolt ends touching the frame stays is the reason they recommend putting the bolts in the other way. I tried doing it with shorter bolts but the rubber needs to compress so much, you have to start with long bolts. I like the reasoning, but I had trouble putting it into practice.

Not everyone here is as cranky and argumentative as me, some are worse!

Glad to meet you from the land where snow is made...

Steve

Steve
Thanks for your reply.
I take your point about the s/s bolts etc.
I found putting the bolts in from the back to be a very simple way to go and it certainly reduces your blood pressure.
The bolts did come very close to the frame, so for peace of mind I cut them, quick enough using the grinder.
Where are you from ?
Regards
Martin

Back