Sprocket/Cassette Help

90chris

Local time
5:04 AM
Hey everyone, so I'm having some problems with my chain on the bike side, this is my first MB and I don't really know too much about them. So ill be riding it and everything will be fine and then out of nowhere my chain will slip gears ( as it has a set of gears)and then it'll be to tight and Ill have to reset it and It's getting old doing this over and over. So I'm thinking ( and plz correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have any input) that the chain might need to be replaced and if not that then I need to get a new cassette right? Cuz I can see tht the teeth are worn. Also im able to switch the gear set out to a single set sprocket as i have no need for the set of gears, Or do I have to replace it with a new set? Thanks for any help- Chris

Attachments

• 20220831_112521.jpg
    20220831_112521.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 20220831_112514.jpg
    20220831_112514.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 128
Hey Jerry, I was looking at my bike and i was wondering if I'm still able to use one of those single speed chain tensioner as my bike dostn have a hole where the derailer would go

Attachments

• 20220902_182052.jpg
    20220902_182052.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 86
Hey Jerry, I was looking at my bike and i was wondering if I'm still able to use one of those single speed chain tensioner as my bike dostn have a hole where the derailer would go
After seeing the type of dropouts your frame has you should be able to pull the chain tight. Just be sure to use a sprocket that puts it in a straight line with the chainring. Have somebody pull back on the wheel while you tighten it.

Yea that's just how it's sitinn rn lol. I'll have it on the 1 set ( one in line with Chain ring) and I'll have it set right and it'll drive fine for a Lil and I'm not sure if it's when I back pedal or what but the chain will eventually jump gears and I can't get it to stop jumping after I get it set.

Yea that's just how it's sitinn rn lol. I'll have it on the 1 set ( one in line with Chain ring) and I'll have it set right and it'll drive fine for a Lil and I'm not sure if it's when I back pedal or what but the chain will eventually jump gears and I can't get it to stop jumping after I get it set.
Several things could be going on.
1) axle is bent.
2) freewheel teeth and/or chain is worn/bent
3) wheel isn't aligned straight in dropouts
4) axle nuts aren't torqued enough

Loosen the motor side chain tensioner, then loosen axle nuts. Put the pedal chain on the desired sprocket so it's in line with front chain ring. Draw the wheel back until the chain is tight, tighten the axle nuts a little bit to hold the wheel from moving easily. Check the wheel alignment between the stays. When satisfied with alignment then tighten the axle.

Then tighten motor side tensioner.

Chainlube are you saying to do this in general or to install the single speed tensioner? And Okay Jerry I honestly think it's my chain and freewheel that's the problem , as I said before looking at the freewheel teeth I can see som of them are non exstince and I believe my chain is old . I'm gonna start troubleshooting this by replacing the chain first and see if that does anything. When getting a new chain do I need to get a single speed or multi speed?

Chainlube are you saying to do this in general or to install the single speed tensioner? And Okay Jerry I honestly think it's my chain and freewheel that's the problem , as I said before looking at the freewheel teeth I can see som of them are non exstince and I believe my chain is old . I'm gonna start troubleshooting this by replacing the chain first and see if that does anything. When getting a new chain do I need to get a single speed or multi speed?
Just letting you know how to get tension on both chains at the same time without needing a right side tensioner. You have a multi-speed wheel on a single speed bike, I would select the best sprocket (biggest or next to it if possible) and start my chain from there. This will make it easy pedaling in case of a break down.

I don't have an answer to the which chain you should get, I haven't done that (or I don't think I have). But I'd imagine a single speed chain would be heavier and your sprockets will be thinner.

It appears you've Frankenstein this bike together. As stated by Chainlube with the type of dropouts you have a right side chain tensioner isn't necessary. Get a BMX single speed freewheel and a 410 chain.

Okay I'm gonna just try replacing the chain first and try that. Do I need a single speed or multiple speed for how it is n ow?

Back