Sprocket/Cassette Help

90chris

Local time
1:53 AM
Hey everyone, so I'm having some problems with my chain on the bike side, this is my first MB and I don't really know too much about them. So ill be riding it and everything will be fine and then out of nowhere my chain will slip gears ( as it has a set of gears)and then it'll be to tight and Ill have to reset it and It's getting old doing this over and over. So I'm thinking ( and plz correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have any input) that the chain might need to be replaced and if not that then I need to get a new cassette right? Cuz I can see tht the teeth are worn. Also im able to switch the gear set out to a single set sprocket as i have no need for the set of gears, Or do I have to replace it with a new set? Thanks for any help- Chris

Attachments

• 20220831_112521.jpg
    20220831_112521.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 20220831_112514.jpg
    20220831_112514.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 122
In the second pic it looks like the chain rivets might be hitting the dropout, slot end where axle attaches. If no derailleur and your chain is on the smallest sprocket, then only answer is a longer chain. Looks like there's no room for further slack in the axle dropout. Looks like the dropout on the cassette side is bent inward a little bit in the pic. If you bend it outward only slightly the chain might not hit.

Let's start with what you have. What you don't have is a cassette; what you have is a 7-speed freewheel. Your wheel is designed to be used with a rear derailleur. Therefore, yes you do need one. A multi-geared bike gives you more options to efficiently pedal assist. In the event of an engine failure, it also will make it much easier to pedal home.

Do you have a 1x7 or a 3x7 drive system? If it's a 3x7 then it gets shifted like this 1(1-4), 2(2-5), 3(4-7) for 12 sequential non-redundant ratios. If a gear is too easy or too hard to comfortably maintain a cadence (crank rpm) of 70-90 it means you're in the wrong gear. You should get a bicycle computer with a cadence meter on it. Take-off gears are 1(1) for starts going uphill. All other take-offs use 2(2).

You need a derailleur, chain, possibly a new freewheel/crankset, a 7-speed shifter, and cable housing. You're also going to need a freewheel removal tool and a crank puller tool.

Back