Sprocket/Cassette Help

90chris

Local time
2:33 AM
Hey everyone, so I'm having some problems with my chain on the bike side, this is my first MB and I don't really know too much about them. So ill be riding it and everything will be fine and then out of nowhere my chain will slip gears ( as it has a set of gears)and then it'll be to tight and Ill have to reset it and It's getting old doing this over and over. So I'm thinking ( and plz correct me if I'm wrong, or if you have any input) that the chain might need to be replaced and if not that then I need to get a new cassette right? Cuz I can see tht the teeth are worn. Also im able to switch the gear set out to a single set sprocket as i have no need for the set of gears, Or do I have to replace it with a new set? Thanks for any help- Chris

Attachments

• 20220831_112521.jpg
    20220831_112521.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 20220831_112514.jpg
    20220831_112514.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 122
Fair point, The second set isn't too bad. Hey though when I replace it with a single speed freewheel is it gonna matter that the freewheel and chain isngonna move over to the left about and inch an half? Cuz then isnt the chain not gonna be in a straight line? Are there some sleeves I need to get to keep that distantce?? And I just wanna say thanks again for all the help, jerry I picked up this bike that way it is ( stupidly completely learned my lesson) and I really appreciate all the knowledge ur given me

Attachments

• 20220905_073753.jpg
    20220905_073753.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 77
Fair point, The second set isn't too bad. Hey though when I replace it with a single speed freewheel is it gonna matter that the freewheel and chain isngonna move over to the left about and inch an half? Cuz then isnt the chain not gonna be in a straight line? Are there some sleeves I need to get to keep that distantce?? And I just wanna say thanks again for all the help, jerry I picked up this bike that way it is ( stupidly completely learned my lesson) and I really appreciate all the knowledge ur given me
You can use washers to put the wheel where you need it to center up the chainring and sprocket. This may or may not move the wheel out of center between the stays. If you have rim brakes one side may then rub. The only way to correct this would require redishing the wheel. Dishing a wheel involves adjusting the spokes to move the hub a certain distance to one side of the rim.

Do you have multiple sprockets up front, forgot to ask. If so, maybe put the chain on the smallest, then you might have room in the rear for the bigger sprocket/chain.

Alright well I'll keep that in mind , hey Jerry when I go to replace the front brakes what kind of brake cable do I need?
The important thing is to get brake stuff, they're a different size than shifter stuff. This was the specs on a universal cable kit I got.

ONE BRAKE KIT COMES WITH - 1 long piece of low compression 5mm brake housing at 2.5M or 98" in length, (2) galvanized universal (MTB or Road) brake cables, and a bag of black PLASTIC 5mm ferrules, donuts, and S-hooks

ONE SHIFTER KIT COMES WITH - 1 long piece of low compression-less 4mm brake housing at 2M or 78" in length, (2) galvanized universal shifter cables, and a bag of black PLASTIC 4mm ferrules, donuts, and S-hooks

The cables, housing and ferrules are different diameters. Brake stuff is slighter thicker.

Back