Sprockets Sprocket idea

J

just for kicks

has anyone used an engine kits driven sprocket as a disc brake also.

I was just thinking/wondering if it could/should be done.

Convert a bicycle brake caliper to fit over/around the chain and use the sprocket as a disc brake also_Of course the caliper would have to clear the chain but it might be doable.

I know it sounds crazy but its just a thought.(might make you wonder about the thoughts I dont share-:D)

I'd think only as long as the sprocket is attached to the hub and not just the spokes. There may be too much force for the spokes to handle. You won't get as good "stopping power" with just regular caliper brakes as if you could convert real disc brake calipers to fit... that would be awsome.

Instead of going around the chain...just go in between the chain lines. (ie. where the chain isn't on the sprocket, just bare teeth.)

I too have thought about this but don't have then resources to make it happen. Tell us what you come up with :D

Great Idea, but how will you stop chain lube spoilling the pads. Mine gets everwhere.

it could work

if you got a blank sprocket and drilled it for the disc brake hub bolt circle and bolted it on, maybe..

but..

1. the material won't may not be hard enough <tempered> and too thick.
2. the force of being a drive sprocket could tear the sprocket out of the hub <although disc break does stop the bike...>
3. the alignment between the disc may not line up with the motor.

I've seen plenty of bike use this brake mechinism so it does work. If the chain is lubed properly with a teflon type lube and maintained it could keep from gumming up the pads. (i also dig the internal brake line routing on the chain stay in this photo!)

not the best pict....
1217_IMG_2420_1.jpg

Yeah I'm not the most technically minded person on the board, but I see a problem with the simple fact that we need to keep the chain oiled, and some of that oil may stray down the sprocket to the brake pad.

If it would work however, it would make for a nice minimalist setup.

Yes it works. I had done something similar. You'll need to find a mechanical caliper that you can take apart and widen with spacers. It would'nt last long if you got even the slightest bit of chain lube into the brake pads.

Dan

there are some go kart disc brake calipers that fit over the respective go kart sprockets. I am sure you can find what you need there.

Back