Sprocket size and top speed

iwasgandhi

Local time
1:39 AM
Background info before my question:
I have a Staton-inc axle mounted gas kit on a 26" wheel bicycle. My current top speed is 28mph, using a 13 tooth small sprocket and a 60 tooth large sprocket. I can adjust my top speed by changing the size (the number of teeth) of one or both sprockets. However, I'm not satisfied with the variety of large sprockets for sale on Staton-inc.com, because I can't dial in my top speed more precisely. Therefore, I want to purchase a custom-made large sprocket from www.electricscooterparts.com, so as to better dial in my top speed closer to 30mph.

Question: what is the mathematical formula (or ratio) for calculating the top speed of my Staton-inc axle kit, given that the only two variables in the equation (or ratio) are the number of teeth on the large and small sprockets?

I can order a custom-made large sprocket from www.electricscooterparts.com with the exact number of teeth that I specify. For example, the large sprocket can have 53 teeth or 47 teeth -- whatever number I specify.

I want my top speed to be as close as possible to 30mph, yet without going over 30mph. My ideal top speed would be precisely 30.0mph, but somewhere between 29.5mph - 30.0mph would be acceptable.

I hope to use an 11 tooth small sprocket, which I've already purchased from www.staton-inc.com, along with a custom-made large sprocket.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I lived for a couple of stints in Newmarket, NH,
I used to have dinner and drinks with my cop buddies, the Police Chief of Newfields as well as a Homeland Security buddy and a couple of Secret Service agents that were assigned to "Hillary", (They used to call her the "B" word...lol), at the "Riverworks" in Newmarket, Met John McCain there once when he was running for President and he bought a round of drinks for everyone there...Also used to know former Governor Craig Benson at that time as well...I think he still lives on Merrymeeting Ln in Rye...also used to help out "Joyce" with cooking once in a while when she needed it at "Joyces Kitchen" restaurant when it was still in business...lol...Also belonged to the American Legion post there as well and the Moose Lodge in Dover...Depending on how old you might be, as well as if you own a car, you might have known me at Valvoline Instant Oil Change facility in Portsmouth, where i once had my office there before my retirement...Was also at one time in the late 90s at Kerners Quick Lube, Valvoline Oil in Exeter NH...I was the manager at that time...lol...AHHHH nostalgia from my former glory days...lol...If you did know me, You would have known me as "Robb", My real name as i was the last Customer Service Manager for Valvoline before my retirement...They retired that title when i retired back in November of 2010...There were only 2 of us "old timers" left to have that title until retirement...Myself and one other on the "Left Coast" of California...He retired a year before i did...DAMIEN

Last edited:
I used to have dinner and drinks with my cop buddies, the Police Chief of Newfields as well as a Homeland Security buddy and a couple of Secret Service agents that were assigned to "Hillary", (They used to call her the "B" word...lol), at the "Riverworks" in Newmarket, Met John McCain there once when he was running for President and he bought a round of drinks for everyone there...Also used to know former Governor Craig Benson at that time as well...I think he still lives on Merrymeeting Ln in Rye...also used to help out "Joyce" with cooking once in a while when she needed it at "Joyces Kitchen" restaurant when it was still in business...lol...Also belonged to the American Legion post there as well and the Moose Lodge in Dover...Depending on how old you might be, as well as if you own a car, you might have known me at Valvoline Instant Oil Change facility in Portsmouth, where i once had my office there before my retirement...Was also at one time in the late 90s at Kerners Quick Lube, Valvoline Oil in Exeter NH...I was the manager at that time...lol...AHHHH nostalgia from my former glory days...lol...If you did know me, You would have known me as "Robb", My real name as i was the last Customer Service Manager for Valvoline before my retirement...They retired that title when i retired back in November of 2010...There were only 2 of us "old timers" left to have that title until retirement...Myself and one other on the "Left Coast" of California...He retired a year before i did...DAMIEN
Small world. Sounds like you knew and met some powerful people while living in NH. I lived in Newmarket, NH on 3 different occasions: 1) 1990-91 in a shared apt. on Cental St., across from the Polish American club (while I was an undergrad at UNH, Durham), 2) Jan. - May, 1997 in a shared apt. on Exeter St./Rt.108 (approx. 200 yards from The Riverworks restaurant), and 3) Jun. - Sep., 1997 in a shared condo approx. 1 mile from downtown. All 3 times I had a driver's license but couldn't afford a car -- wish I'd known about the possibility of using a motor-bicycle to get around relatively cheaply, and with a wider geographical range than a non-motorized bike. I've eaten at the Riverworks, seen bands play at The Stone Church (on the top of the hill in Newmarket, just up the hill from downtown), smoked weed for the 1st time in Newmarket... ah, the memories. Do you remember a little convenience store right downtown named "Marelli's Fruit & Real Estate"? Sadly, it's no longer there. Newmarket has been gentrified. It's now all upscale and boutique-ified. Gotta have big bucks for a decent place to stay.

Small world. Sounds like you knew and met some powerful people while living in NH.
Small world indeed...I remember Morelli's quite well, I shopped there all the time...Also used to drink and eat at Durgins as well, right next door..."Rita was one of the bartenders there way back when...lol...Stone Church was also a hangout of mine...I used to get invited there all the time by Dave Gerard from "Truffles" band all the time...I was also known as "cop repellent", being an ex-cop myself, by the UNH students in Newmarket when they were throwing their parties there...Free drinks all night...lol...All I had to do was "card" anyone coming in...The Newmarket Police Chief, a LT., and a couple of officers arrived at one of those affairs, I think in 1997 or 98, to bust it up and i of course answered the door...The Chief looked at me and just said,"Robb, What the hell are you doing here, your in your 40s"...I was already half in the bag at the time and just said, " I was invited, How about you?"...He just laughed and said, "Since your obviously the oldest "student" here, im putting you in charge to at least have these guys hold the noise down"...lol.

Be careful in NH about laws covering motorized bikes...I think you still need to be at least a licensed driver, have insurance, registration, as well as required safety equipment such as lights, horn, rear view mirror, and may need a motor vehicle safety inspection...I still retain a New Hampshire State Motor Vehicles Inspectors License that is good for life, but im not in NH so I cant inspect it for you since im in New Mexico now...lol...lol...DAMIEN

Click on the forum link below where i posted my latest design change on my bike here in Alamogordo, NM...Ps...Im in one of the pics though older and heavier than i was before retirement 10 years ago when i moved here...lol.

Did you just hear that???...That was my bike saying, "Get off me ya fat bastard"...lol...lol...lol.

Last edited:
Back