Sprocket Size & It's Effects

FrizzleFried

Local time
1:49 AM
OK... so my rudimentary math skills tell me that if I go from a 40 tooth sprocket to a 36 tooth sprocket, I am reducing the number of teeth by 4... or 10%...

I would then assume that at the same RPM my bike would be running 10% faster than it was prior... right?

I would then assume that I would lose about 10% of my torque across the board... no?

I suspect this may not work exactly right though as there is a front sprocket in play, but what do I know?!?

:D

OK... so my rudimentary math skills tell me that if I go from a 40 tooth sprocket to a 36 tooth sprocket, I am reducing the number of teeth by 4... or 10%...

I would then assume that at the same RPM my bike would be running 10% faster than it was prior... right?

I would then assume that I would lose about 10% of my torque across the board... no?

I suspect this may not work exactly right though as there is a front sprocket in play, but what do I know?!?

:D
The basic thing to remember is a certain horse power can only move a certain weight at a certain max speed.

For instance on my shifter bike if I'm running 7000 rpm in a gear at wide open throttle on level ground and shift to a higher gear the rpm will drop to around 6000.

Not really, no.

Generally the bike will go whatever top speed due to whatever RPM your engine decides to run at. So going to a 36 tooth vs a 40 just means the same RPM results into a higher top end speed. However, this also increases the load on the engine (ie wind drag) so it doesn't end up mathematically perfect. Like @Sidewinder Jerry said.

Just google 'gear ratios'. Small tooth drive sprocket and large tooth wheel sprocket works the exactly same way.

Back