Sprockets Sprocket tighting

kcpoloman

Local time
8:50 PM
I have an 80cc with the sprocket on the back wheel that uses the friction pads between the spockets. I have locking nuts and washers on the bolts but I was wondering how often do they need to be tightend? I have been riding for about two months on it since I first put it on. Do they loosen up at all or do they need regular tighting?

Mine have never gotten loose, but I have loctite, lock washers, 2 regular nuts and 1 acorn nut on every bolt. That being said, i would check every so often, but it may never need to be tightended.

They should be checked but not very often,it's not the sorta thing that needs regular attention.
While your there make sure the sprocket is still centered properly or the chain will be constantly going tight/loose tight/loose etc.
If this mounting system bothers u concider a Clam Shell:
http://livefastmotors.com/accessories.html

After awhile things settle and the rubber takes the shape of the spokes so I think it's a good idea to tighten things up a bit. This is your chance to see if you can eliminate any wobble you may have. These lock nuts seam to work OK. It's also a good idea to see if you have any side to side movement on the wheel, I myself need to tighten and grease my bearing nuts every three months or so.

They should be checked but not very often,it's not the sorta thing that needs regular attention.
While your there make sure the sprocket is still centered properly or the chain will be constantly going tight/loose tight/loose etc.
If this mounting system bothers u concider a Clam Shell:
http://livefastmotors.com/accessories.html

Thanks for the link. How does that thing work?

After awhile things settle and the rubber takes the shape of the spokes so I think it's a good idea to tighten things up a bit. This is your chance to see if you can eliminate any wobble you may have. These lock nuts seam to work OK. It's also a good idea to see if you have any side to side movement on the wheel, I myself need to tighten and grease my bearing nuts every three months or so.

I did have some side to side movent on my rear wheel also. I just tightend the nuts up back there and it was good.

That "thing" works by mounting it to the hub, instead of the spokes. The sprocket then mounts to it. It may also help with those that have disk brakes on the rear.
There are thousands of us with the spoke mounted sprockets with millions of miles.
Good enough for me.
When you are riding your bike, look back at the chain and sprocket and you will see if there is a wobble as it spins. That will tell you if you need to tighten up a few of the looser bolts.

Back