Sputtering and Backfiring

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
4:46 PM
Just quick, I'll check when I get home from work tonight. My bike runs fine but when I get to a stop sign then go, it sputters and backfires and it might clear up or it might not. If it doesnt, I let it sit a couple minutes and it fires back up no problem and goes fine.

Does this sound like a fuel delivery issue to you guys? I changed the filter yesterday and it didn't help, I'm gonna check that screen thing on the petcock tonight.

I've also seen guys mention cleaning the exhaust... I have a stock exhaust and almost 3000 miles I'd say. Ive never touched the exhaust.

Yeah, I would start off cleaning the carb with carb cleaner, it's probably not the exhaust pipe but if you are using a thick oil mix then oil can sometimes clog up stock pipes so air won't flow properly.

Thanks guys. I haven't done anything to the bike since the last post. I'm parking it for the winter. I'll be asking what I need to rebuild pretty soon probably.

Thank you all so much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Sounds more electrical than fuel. Could also be warped/loose head that starts leaking excessively when warmed up.

Back