Sputters but no start.

i mean those are boy go fast, while the physical motor is kings motor bikes brand

err, im beging to loose hope here. Is there a chance that the CDI is operates on a deferent voltage so its not getting the spark it needs to start the combustion?

REPLACE THE PARTS IN QUESTION: $25 to not lose hope...same for the carby....and if no change, then you know they're fine...sell them on eBay and get most of your money back...or keep them for spares.

A motor needs 3 ingredients to run:
1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Spark

The fuel and air are Carb adjustments...the spark is CDI.
If you can verify the spark, well, I'd replace the carb.
I'd also use new fuel at a 30:1 ratio...I've mentioned this before, I think you're pushing too much oil through at 15:1...

If you pull off the fuel line from the carb, and open the petcock, does fuel run out? If not, your filter/screen is clogged and it's starving for fuel.

If you pull off the air filter, do you see any debris clogging up the air passage? If not, then your carb should be fine.

Where is your idle adjustment screw? Should start at 4 turns out (full 360 turns)

Where is the e-clip on your needle? Make sure it's on the second one from the end. This is the stock setup.

Finally - have you verified a spark? Replace the plug with the other one that came with the motor...if you don't have one, pickup the NGK one (search NGK spark plug for the one you need, I can't remember).

OK, if everything seems good above, let's look at how you're going about starting the bike...

Firstly, when you pull in the clutch, does it roll smoothly? There should be no resistance. If there is, that's what's not letting it idle.

Secondly, when you try to start it, are you fiddling around with the choke? I start mine choke all the way up, once it starts, I immediately pull the clutch in so it will idle - giving it NO THROTTLE, because that kills it right away, then I reach down and close the choke 100%. THEN, and only then, can I give it throttle and hear the motor run up.

After that I do not use the choke any more, for subsequent starts once it's been run, all day long.

Now, I'm in FL at sea level, and I don't know what the differences are in your area, but I think all these things listed about should apply. Don't give up at this point, because once you do get it running, you'll be the "guru"! :)

Good luck...and when you get frustrated, just walk away from it for a bit.
Mark

these guys are so right about removing that kill switch as i stated in another message ..i road my bike up and down the alley fer 2 days...most i got was a sputter...actually i got it going once...then i stopped...ouhps...wouldnt start again..anyhow long story short..i checked everything just like you.....old fella down the lane said ..check yer wiring..so i went back and undid that killswitch....left the other wires intact...Vrrrrrooooom :cool:

gonna take a wild guess here..but the spring in that kill switch is sucky ....must been bouncing and killing the engine :(

hope that helps

maddy

hehe, i love the old guy down the street. hes helped me so many times.

Back