Squeeky (flywheel?)

G

grakker

I'm not sure what is going on here. I have looked at many if not all of the posts.

I have an 80cc (OK, 67.89756443 for some of you) Grubee. I bought it on impulse. I'm not rich, but I have never really grown out of the "I want it now" stage. I saw someone with a motor on their bike and wanted one, so I bought it.

My install, unlike many on here, went relatively smooth.

But here is my problem. I'm hearing a serious metal on metal squeek coming from somewhere on my engine. At first I thought it was the clutch.

Let me back up a second. When I first installed the engine, I was happy, it worked after about 5 times of trying to get it started. But it always seemed that the pedal performance sucked. It really seemed to be dragging.

Then I found motoredbikes.com soon after, started reading as many posts as I could get though, and realized my clutch wasn't adjusted correctly and was dragging a little when I though it was just added chain drag/friction or whatever.

After taking off the starboard cover (right if you are riding the bike), and adjusting the clutch per posted instructions, I got the clutch working correctly (this is also with adjusting the play in the clutch cable).

But everytime I would go for a longer ride, say 10 or so miles, I would hear a very distinct grinding sound of metal on metal. It seemed that it was coming from the clutch/gear box. I would take off that starboard cover, take out the little screw, and adjust the star kind of nut counter-clockwise one notch, put the little screw back in, put the cover on and drive on.

This seemed to take care of the problem, temporarily. Until recently. Now I almost always have that sound. Metal on metal sound. I'm not sure what to do. This engine has seemed pretty bomb-proof, yet I'm getting this very disturbing sound. I took off the clutch plate and rode the bike around a little with no engine running and the sound was still there. So It's not a piston thing, or a clutch thing.

This seems to be a problem somewhere between the drive sprocket and the clutch. Maybe the axle that ties it all together?

Anyone have this issue? I would like to fix it, but I have reached a point where I just have said f#ck it and started driving the thing. When it breaks I will buy a new one. I don't really mind, but I would rather not throw money away.

Anyone have any ideas or hypothesis as to what is causing this sound? It does occur both while under pedal power and while under engine power. A little more under pedal power or coasting.

Thanks to all who write back. I'm heading up to Kings Canyon to camp for the week, but I will be back around Thursday and will check to see if anyone has had the same issue.

This clutch is starting reminding me of my ex-wife. Please don't ask me to use the SEARCH function. I've done that.

Grube with noise

Hi ok, have you ever
A) pulled the little 3 screw cover, removed the pin and ball, greaed them and the pivot arm?
B) put a DAB (not a tooth paste tube full!!!) of grease on the flywheel gear?
C) put a small squirt of grease inside the clutch cable riser hole?
D) looked the the clutch cover to see if the mechanism is rubbing on the cover?
E) considered to fill out all the info including your basic location?

One, some, or all of these things may help you.

Mike

Re: Grube with noise

MotorbikeMike said:
Hi ok, have you ever
A) pulled the little 3 screw cover, removed the pin and ball, greaed them and the pivot arm?

Mike
'b' came to mind immediately !

Damn you guys are fast. I was just getting ready to go to sleep and then had to check if anyone replied. I will do all of these when I get back on Thursday or Friday and let you know.

Thanks. I was seriously at a dead end.

Re: Grube with noise

MotorbikeMike said:
Hi ok, have you ever

Mike

OK, got back from camping. I took the 3-screw cover off, pulled off the nut and the sprocket. Put some grease on everything I saw. Then I put everything back together.

Then I flipped the bike around and took off the clutch cover. I took off the plate, the spring, and the nut there. But then I couldn't figure out how to pull the clutch pad part to get at the freewheel. I thought that if I kept messing around I would break something.

So after looking at this and trying to figure out what to do for about 1/2 an hour, I put it back together. Took the bike for a spin.

No squeek. Yeah!

So I hit rode the bike for a couple of miles. Still no squeek. Then, after getting a drink I went for about a 10 mile ride.

Squeek is back. Damn.

How do I get to the flywheel without breaking anything? Thanks.

when you take the big cover off, you will see two gears, that is where to put a small amount of grease (approx navy-bean size blob)
I put it right where they meet with a q-tip
don't put too much or it will get to your cluch and slippage will occur
that should clarify/quieten things for you

OK. I don't really have a problem with the gears there. Mike mentioned greasing the flywheel. I just don't know how to get to it. I did lightly grease the gears, even though they seemed pretty well greased.

the chain tensioner can make some pretty weird noises that have fooled many a builder/rider before you...too tight is usually the reason (it won't spin freely)...might as well check that since you're still looking.

Back